Saturday, October 20, 2007

Pumpkin Soup and Toads in a Hole



I managed to pull my tush out of bed really, really early on Friday morning so I could start my Shabbos cooking. First, I put up the brisket because I knew that would take the most time, and then I got to work on Buggy's Mom's pizza chicken recipe. Now, when I spoke to her in the morning, she was unsure of measurements and so I just winged it. Fortunately, when Buggy got back and saw the finished product cooling on the dining room table, he told me that it looked and smelled just like his Mom makes. Next, it was onto the shnitzel, which I baked so that it would be less caloric. After that, I moved the now cooked brisket into another pan and got working on the lacquered salmon dressing. I combined sugar, soy sauce, whiskey, ginger and garlic and cooked for a few minutes over a low flame. Then, I added some pineapple and drizzled over the salmon half of the sauce, and baked. At this point, we were running really late for Buggy's niece's birthday party, so I left him to babysit the salmon and hopped into the shower.

We made it to the birthday party just in time for them to bring out the cake, which was a wonderful Pillsbury confection, and then we got home to finish getting ready for shabbos. We still had to make the pumpkin soup and since Buggy is the Soup King, from his days studying under the auspicies of the Chef's over at Jerusalem's Sheraton Plaza hotel, we have had some amazing soups. The pumpkin soup recipe is what they serve at the Primavera restaurant and it was great! We made it together and when I say together, I mean that I did all the skut work like peeling and dicing the vegetables and preparing the chicken stock, and Buggy just manned the pot. Fortunately, it turned out really, really tasty and I was the one who got to use the blender stick to get it looking like it does above. And, the best part of the whole experience, is that I was able to freeze two whole tupperwares full so we will have plenty to serve to our next Shabbos guests.

We went to bed fairly early and had a really relaxing Shabbos. We tryed out the Yael shul, which was really nice, and then came home and had a quick lunch and took naps. We both finished our books right as Shabbos was coming out. Saturday night was uneventful, Buggy did some work and I did some cleaning and relaxing, and then it was back to the daily grind the morning...

Which didn't start out soo good when The Dude decided to call and wake us up at 7:30 a.m. I don't think he realized that we were sleeping, and so we both hung up on him, rolled over and went back to bed. We woke up later than expected and got things moving. I had to put in a load of laundry especially since the dryer guys are coming today to find out why the dryer moved unexpectedly. And, since I was overtired, I had some issues making Buggy his breakfast.

All I wanted to do was make the man a Toad in a Hole. This is like, his absolutely favorite breakfast, except that I failed...miserably.





This is what it should look like. But, I was using leftover Challah rolls and the cookie cutter was too big and so I managed to pop the egg yolks both times. But, I am determined to give him a breakfast that is perfect, so I just kept on goin. And this time, all I wanted to do was a make a sunny side egg so I could slide it over the piece of Challah...

The sunny side eggs should look like this:


Mine, all FOUR of them, somehow popped either during plating or when I dropped them into the pan. I was miserable at this point, and surrounded by four different breakfasts. That's when Buggy took my eggs and spatula away and told me that this breakfast was perfect and fine.

I felt like a bit of an egg failure, but we managed to eat breakfast without incident anyway. One day, I hope, I will make him a perfect Toad in a Hole - just like his father used to make him when he was a kid.

After breakfast, Buggy disappeared into his "office" for a while and the doorbell rang. It was a certified letter for Buggy, so I went downstairs and signed for it, and then waited for Buggy to finish his business and join me in the living room. He opened the letter and got super excited - it was from the Rabanut!

They have officially approved our marriage, and so, FINALLY, we are legally and religiously married in Israel! Mazal Tov to us!

Now, we can go and change our Teudat Zehuts and I can officially change my last name. Wow, I can't believe it finally happened. Buggy, of course, had to go to the Rabanut with pictures because they forgot to ask us for them last time we were there. But, we took more passport photos the other day, so he just went with the pictures and my paperwork and left to go to the Rabanut.

I'm home today for work reasons. I'm phone pitching support for a colleage in NY who has a great event today in the City. If you're bored between 11:00 p.m. and 4:00 p.m., head out to Union Square Park for Sabra's Make Your Own Hummus Sundays! I'll be here, pitching the media, and hoping they'll be coming down there too.

Hope your day is going better than mine!

No comments: