Monday, December 25, 2006

My Life is a Postcard



It's already 10:30 p.m. on Monday night and today I really felt like my life is one giant postcard. I've been working on writing my second short story, which is due tomorrow and slated for workshopping on the 2nd, and I was starting to get burnt out. So, I strapped on my New Balance sneaks and hit the beach, which was teeming with folks in the Holy Land for the holidays. The weather this afternoon was absolutely gorgeous, so much so that some die hards were in the water swimming! There was an American couple with a baby no older than 16 months who was absolutely enthralled with the sand and the surf. After my heart pumping workout, I sat on one of the benches by the marina at Gordon Beach and just watched this little girl play in the sand. It was a beautiful sight.

So, my story is basically done. I know I'm going to get completely killed in class, especially since the opening is pretty graphic and a little bit violent. I don't believe in easing into things - no tiptoeing into the water - this piece is like canonballing into the deep end. I'm not looking forward to the grilling but at least I'll have plenty to talk to Bret about during our end of semester meeting on January 16th!

The countdown until I head back to New York has officially begun and we're looking at approximately 30 days from today. I can't wait! As much as I love it here in Israel, I am really looking forward to getting together with my family. I was talking to Shulamit this afternoon and telling her about all the things I can't wait to do once I'm back in New York. They include, but are not limited to, seeing my Grandmother/Mother/Father/Siblings and Nieces/Nephew. Drinking tap water. Taking a long, hot shower without worrying that the water will run out. DRIVE MY CAR (oh how I miss my Ike), get a decent haircut with Rob, get a facial and wax with Josine, go to the movies with Cousin Neil, hit the concerts with Jules, go to Zen Palate for vegetarian food with Julie, train with Victoria, get a pedicure with Bracha, catch up with Melissa at Starbucks, go to Hayden Planitarium with Marns and Rachel, head down to Maryland and overdose on the kids and Debra, go shopping at Banana with Hannah, see Eta's new house, go food shopping with Ema at Supersol, get my teeth cleaned with Dr. Levenson, go to Virgin megastore in Union Square, grab a drink at Verlaine's with Jeorjie, etc.

I probably won't be blogging again until Wednesday, got way too much to do and won't be around until late Wednesday night. I hope everyone in the States enjoyed their day off today. My Dad just told me that they are forecasting a snowy Shabbos - what a nice way to usher in the New Year?

Oh, and before I end this blog, I must give props to Mom. I would completely be lost without her! My chicken soup was a big hit on Friday night and, had she not told me to go out and buy corn flakes to crush for the chicken cutlets, I wouldn't have had a main to serve on Shabbos day. Besides the culinary advice, Mom is just all around wonderful and I can't wait to see her in a few weeks!

OK, enough gushing! Literature of the day is The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald. I don't know what it is about the holiday season, or the thought of potential snow, that sends me running towards the green lights of the Hamptons. Either way, this classic is one of the greatest pieces of American literature. Go back and read it if you haven't since your High School days.

No comments: