Sunday, December 02, 2007

Earthquakes!



OK, so this morning there was the fourth earthquake in Israel in 2 weeks. Buggy and I heard that the ground started to rumble and move around 9:40 a.m., and we both were up and didn't even feel a thing. Now, some dooms dayers are predicting that "the big one is on its way" and that's just the last thing I need to even think about. Oh, and this picture is not from here in Jerusalem but from Indonesia after an earthquake that was more than 6.0 on the Richter square. Today's earthquake measured in at 4.0. I've lived through a couple of New York earthquakes in my life, and I only really remember one that woke me up on a Friday night and left a big crack in the pavement outside of our Shul. I don't know what year it was, probably sometime in the late 80's or very early 90's. Anyway, my point is that I'd like to keep it that way - I'm one of those people who doesn't need to experience certain things in life just to say that I've "been there, done that". I'm content never having to live through a big earthquake - it's why I never settled in California folks.

So, Buggy and I had a BIG busy and productive morning. We got up early and drove the car to the Mosach (garage) to get some things fixed. Buggy's back blinker wasn't working and the car needed other servicing, so we left it with the grease men and hiked it back home. It was a very nice, long walk through Talpiot and the weather was beautiful, sunny with grey clouds rushing towards us. I warned Buggy that it looked like rain was coming, but he was certain that we would make it home okay, and then we decided to stop off at the Hadar Mall to pick up the last of our Chanukah presents. At first, Buggy wasn't excited about our options, but then we found a Bug. The Bug store is a place you can go to get your computer serviced (although, I don't think they work with Macs, just PC's), buy computer and Playstation games and other cool electronics. We decided to get his brother a plastic keyboard that would work with his laptop, and his Dad a pair of rechargable batteries that you charge through the computer's USB port. I also picked up some wrapping paper so I can wrap his Mother's gift, and then we decided it was time to head back home for some brunch. Of course, we weren't too surprised to see the rain pouring down! Buggy had this great rainjacket, which was smart of him to take before we left the house, and I only had a sweatshirt with a hood. So, we waited for the raindrops to slow down and then walked the rest of the way home. We didn't get too wet and I made us a nice, big and warm brunch to chase away the chill.

Shabbos was very nice and relaxing. We ate Friday night dinner at Buggy's parents and I even made it to shul for Maariv and Kabalat Shabbos! We went to Chovevei but decided to daven upstairs, which was nice and smooth - no speeches - just the way I like it. Dinner was great and then Buggy and I walked back home. Right before we crossed the train tracks into Baka, though, we heard this loud BOOM. I looked at Buggy and asked him what he thought that could be, and he said that I really didn't want to know. And then, we heard the sirens. This being Jerusalem, we both assumed terrorist attack and all I wanted to do was rush home and crawl into bed. Buggy assured me that it was far away and that I had nothing to worry about, but I didn't want to take any chances. I just wanted to be home. Well, we spent the rest of Shabbos close to the apartment and lunch was very comforting. The soup turned out really, really great - as did the lamb chops - and then we just slept Shabbos away. After Havdala, we both went online looking for news about what could have happened but didn't find anything. That was a little bit of a relief.

Saturday night was quiet, we stayed at home and just relaxed and caught up on some TV. Today, we both have some work to do. For me, I have to write a new business proposal and Buggy needs to work on a big project that's due on Wednesday. Good thing we don't have to be outside - it's cold, grey and raining. Who said rain in Israel isn't a blessing?

Product of the Day

Patagonia makes quality rain gear! I moved to this country with the ugliest, most impractical rain coat ever and - of course - I never wear it. While we were in the States, actually the day after our wedding, we went to the Patagonia on the Upper West Side and bought Buggy his rain jacket. It's amazing - he absolutely loves it - and it really does protect from "the elements" and the rain! Perhaps I'll pick on up during the after-Christmas sales! Either way, if you're planning on visiting Jerusalem in the next few months, bring rain gear - winter has finally arrived!

No comments: