Sunday, September 23, 2007

Buggy Danish



We hope everyone had an easy fast! Ours was T"G absolutely amazing! I guess that's what happens when you go to a 7:00 a.m. minyan that lets out at 11:00 a.m. I was asleep by 12:30 and didn't get up again until 3:30 p.m. for Mincha. The davening here was so great - no KVETCHING! Someone needs to clue in the folks over at my parents shul that you can have a meaningful Yom Kippus without the Chazan who drooones on and on for hours.

Anyway, we broke the fast at Buggy's parents and it was a little weird for me being in a new place that has different post-fast customs. I miss good ol' G&I on Main Street and my apple turnovers. Can you believe Buggy has no idea what an apple turnover is? I have a friend coming from Queens for Succot and I have half a mind to ask her to bring me one, just so Buggy can see the fantastic pastry!

So, as you can see, I was craving pastry when I got home and we had gone to my favorite Jerusalem bakery called Pe'er before Shabbos/Yom Tov to get pre-and post-fast provisions. Well, I had picked up an assorted box of mini danishes and rugaleach and cinnamon buns and when we got back to the apartment last night, I went straight for the box. We curled up on the couch to catch some news on TV and I was pulling a part this plain danish when I saw a BUG!

Well, I spit out any of the danish in my mouth and then made Buggy check out the Bug. Well, once he confirmed that it was in fact a bug, we launched into this whole debate on whether or not I will go there again. See, it wasn't like the bug was in the box, or on top of the danish. It was BAKED INTO the danish folks, and that means that the bug was in the DOUGH and that just skeeved me out a bit.

Buggy tried to nicely point out how much I like their Chalot and I think this incident is just too fresh in my mind and I'm going to refrain from the bakery for a bit. Good think we got a bread maker as a wedding present! I need to hit my little sister up for her Challah recipes - especially since we're having 10 people over for dinner on Friday night and they're gonna want some bread.

Last night, we decided to go see The Nanny Diaries, Buggy's very first official chick flick. It was a pretty bad movie and now I wish we had seen Knocked Up instead. Either way, it was nice to be out together at a movie - we hadn't done that since before the wedding!

Today we're staying close to home as we both have work to do. Buggy has to work on his project and I need to get back to writing thank you notes and planning our Succot meals. We're eating at home, just the two of us, on Thursday lunch and then we're having a bunch of people over for dinner on Friday night. There will be LOTS of cooking going on in this apartment and I'm getting excited - please let me know if you have recipe recommendations. I need to get some good bar recipes from my sister - I will be doing a lot of baking within the next few days!

No comments: