Tuesday, June 06, 2006

For Sale


For Sale
Originally uploaded by holylandhipster.
I've been flathunting all day and I am exhausted! I had no idea that there were so many yahoo groups dedicated to apartment hunting in Israel.

First, I went to Flathunting because apparently that is THE place to go when looking for an apartment. But, after reading a number of blogs, it appears that Flathunting is primarily for Jerusalem seekers. Since I'm looking for a flat in Tel Aviv, I needed something like Flathunting but for Tel Aviv. I joined the yahoo group for Rechovot and posted a message about an apartment and a woman from my Mother's high school graduating class responded! Turns out, Rechovot is not exactly the happening town I thought it would be. Next, it was onto a yahoo group for Bar Ilan students, still waiting to hear if my message has been approved for posting. Anyway, I finally found two Tel Aviv yahoo groups that mimic both Janglo and Flathunting, and I'm really hoping that both will be the resources needed to find an apartment and neighborhood to live in next year!

Meanwhile, I'm hoping that Craigslist in New York will be the answer to my prayers, as I need to sell everything in my apartment. I've lived here for more than four years and have amassed quiet a bit of "stuff". I decided to test the Craigslist waters this morning and posted an ad for my West Elm rug. It's less than a year old, chocolate brown and powder blue, and in nearly pristine condition (ok, so I'll admit it, I don't have a vacumn cleaner and spend about 25 minutes on my hands and knees each week with the Swiffer carpet sticky pads to clean it). I paid $140 between purchasing the rug pad and with shipping. I posted the ad and set the price at $85. No buyers.

Here's hoping I have better luck with the rest of my things!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't know what your level of Hebrew is, but Homeless.co.il is a great resource for apartments in Tel Aviv. You can probably get by just by using a dictionary to look up words. Actually, it was a really good way for me to start practicing.

I definitely recommend giving it a try.

Anonymous said...

hi - i found your blog because i was doing a websearch for apartments in tel aviv, preferably near Bar Ilan....can you tell me what the site was that you used? and if you were successful with it? (and if not, how you found your apartment?)
thanks!
Rachel :)
(rachelariel@mac.com)