Thursday, June 08, 2006

Ode to Angus, my beloved pet turtle


Angus
Originally uploaded by holylandhipster.
Tonight, I said goodbye to my turtle. Angus and I had been roommates for the past three and a half years, and it was a great! He was a pain in my ass when I wanted to go on vacation, but otherwise, he was the most laid back, low maintenance pet anyone could ask for!

I took this picture today, before I had to pack Angus up and deliver him to Steve. It was a bizarre experience from start to finish, as the guy from the Turtle Rescue of Long Island told me to meet him at the McDonald's in Penn Station at 8:15 p.m. for the hand off.

Even though the entire "transfer of Angus" was really shady (I had to pack him in a shoebox lined with newspaper, meet this guy in Penn Station by the McDonalds, and have a $50 check to cover the costs) it was the right thing to do. With my upcoming move to Tel Aviv, I needed to find a loving home for Angus, and I felt it was only appropriate for Angus to leave the State too. I hope that this isn't a scam and that, in a few weeks, Angus really IS frolicking in a pond and sunnying himself on a great big rock in Texas or Florida. Here's hoping!

Nevertheless, Angus LOVED to read and he spent all day long staring at works by Yeats, Welsh, Irvine, McDonnell, Carver and much more! My friends loved Angus, and would frequently bring turtle figurines that would keep Angus company on the shelf. I couldn't bear to part with the porceline turtles but did make sure to pack Angus's favorite floating rock and turtle food.

I wish I could write more but I'm exhausted. This morning I had to navigate the County Court system, before my date with the notary and then with the women at the Department of State. The good news is I got the Apostile. Next week, I'll need lots of luck getting my Israeli passport and hope it's a smooth process.

As for tonight, I will go to sleep without the accompanying sounds of Angus swimming in his tank.

No comments: