Sunday, May 06, 2007

Spidey and the Bonfires



Last night, the air in Jerusalem was so thick with smoke that you absolutely choked with every, single breath. Happy Lag Baomer everyone! That means, the really religious today are headed up North to Meron to cut their 3-year-old's hair, people are finally able to listen to live music and go to movies, and it's time to break out the new clothing.

Last night, Buggy and I decided to buck the trend and stay away from the bonfires. This, of course, was after I educated him on what S'mores are. Can you believe that he's never heard, much less had a S'more? Now that is Chaval! Anyway, we decided to go see Spiderman and, well, so did a lot of other people. We purchased tickets in advance though, so there was no fear we'd be sold out of the flick. Anyway, the movie was okay, not amazing. Personally, I felt that Peter Parker was just too wussy in this film. I mean, he cried a LOT! I would have enjoyed it a lot more without the intense waterworks. That was too much for my taste.

By the time the movie came out, the bonfires had been burning for hours and you could barely see through the haze. We were hungry so we went back to Caffit on Emek Refaim for dinner, and we split two dishes. The portions there are absolutely massive, so we brought home doggy bags. As we were leaving the restaurant, Buggy asked me if I wanted to drive back to his parents house. Now, at first I was reluctant because he's been driving his Mother's new car, but it was 2:00 a.m. and the streets were pretty much deserted, so I gave it a go.

It was fantastic! I didn't realize how much I miss driving a car! I would have gone for a bit of a spin but again, not in Buggy's Mom's car. He promised that I can drive his car some other time, which I'm really looking forward to doing. And, since his car is a convertible, I might even drive with the top down.

Shabbos was very nice, relaxing and extremely hot! On Thursday night, Buggy drove out to Herzlia Petuach to pick me up after a Dr.'s appointment. I waited for him in the lobby of the Daniel Hotel, which had a wonderful view of the beach down below. We ended up a local sushi restaurant for dinner, before heading back to Jerusalem. Fortunately for us, the streets were completely empty. Unfortunately, the reason for the emptiness was because over 100,000 people were in Rabin Square in Tel Aviv protesting against the government. They called for the resignation of the Prime Minister and the Depense Minister, in response to the Lebanon War of Summer 2006. Personally, I don't address any political issues on this blog, but I have to say one thing. If 100,000 people show up in protest, don't you think the government should listen?

We got back to Buggy's folks house and watched an episode of Heroes before going to bed. Friday was busy but not crazy busy. We went to a couple of places, including a few pharmacies so I could fill a perscription. I had wanted to go get a pedicure with his sister, but didn't realize that you needed to make an appointment in advance. There is the difference between Israel and New York - in New York, nail salons are a dime a dozen. You can walk in at any time of day, really, and someone should be available to do your nails. My toes are in serious need of some grooming, but the earliest appointment we could get was for next Friday. So, I took matters into my own hands and just cleaned up my feet so that they were presentable in open toed shoes.

Before we knew it, it was time to light candles and for Buggy to go to shul. We ended up eating a quick dinner alone, which was nice, and then I washed the dishes and we went to sleep. We were invited to his second cousin's bar mitzvah and Buggy had promised to wake up on time but that was before my 5:30 a.m. wake up call.

So, here's what happened. I was being feasted on by a Jerusalem mosquito! I woke up at 5:30 to buzzing in my ear and an inch over my eye. I had gotten bitten already over my right eyelid and you know that mosquito was just gunning for more! He had a taste and I knew he was coming back for me. So, I walked into Buggy's room and woke him up. Poor thing, he jumped out of bed and stood at attention. I think he was having an army dream or something, but then I explained about the mosquito and pointed to my eye. He asked me what I wanted him to do, and I didn't really have an answer. I just didn't want to get bitten anymore, so I curled up onto the floor at his feet. Well, he wasn't having any of that, and there was some musical bed switching going on. Finally, at 6:00, I just went back to my own bed and prayed that the mosquito had flown away.

Because Buggy was up so early in the morning, he overslept and at 9:45 was waking me up and running out the door to get to minyan. Fortunately, I had the keys to the apartment so I was able to take my time. I had to first cover up the bug bite over my eye, which, fortunately, wasn't too swolen. I put on my suit and walked the few blocks to the bar mitzvah. People, it was HOT in Jerusalem on Shabbos and that suit was stifling! I was also one of the only people there in a suit, most were more casually attired and so I chidded to Buggy that he should have told me. Being a typical guy, he said he had no idea how women dressed and wouldn't have been helpful either way. Besides, he thought I looked good, so he was happy either way.

Next time, I go casual.

But, that brings me to an interesting incident. Somehow, and really I just don't know why this keeps on happening, but whenever I'm around his Aunts I turn into some moron. I end up saying the wrong thing, asking the wrong question, etc. and I aways feels bad about myself later. I'm going to have to really work on this cause, I'm hoping for alifetime of interaction with these women and I need to figure out how to communicate properly.

Today has been a very busy day for us! We are doing some more wedding and apartment errands. I am going back to Tel Aviv tonight because I have a lot of work to do tomorrow, both for school and for my job. It's exciting that I finally have some real work to do, and I'm looking forawrd to making some money again.

As for the student strike, well, things have taken a turn for the worse. The administration basically came out with an announcement that all students must return to class or else. The student union said that now they will go around and start locking the gates of the school so that no one can get onto campus. My program said that, if that happens, they will have to figure out another option about class.

People, if the students are going around with chains and locks, I ain't going to class! I refuse to anger a person who can easily wield a chain and take me out. I like my nose too much, and don't care about the program THAT much.

I'll keep y'all posted. As for where I am now, Buggy is working on a model for school and I'm in the office with him updating the blog. It's nice to escape the heat for a few hours, as it's really brutal out there! I'm hoping it cools down before I have to get on the bus.

Till next time....

No comments: