Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Voracious Appetite



I have no idea what's wrong with me, but for the past two days, I've had a voracious appetite. I was starving last night when I walked back to my apartment from school. I walked from the Arlozorov station and it took a bit longer than usual since I'm a lot more tired by the end of the day. I was so hungry when I walked into my apartment that I polished off a huge hunk of Challah with 1/3 fat Chummus. Yikes! Today was pretty similar.

I woke up this morning and was thrilled to have another day off. Long live the striking students of Bar Ilan! Anyway, I had mounds of laundry to do and, after a healthy breakfast, headed to my laundromat near Gordon. All was going well, I was engrossed in the middle of Augusten Burroughs' Running with Scissors when in walked two clueless, middle age, American women. They walked right up to me and asked if I could help them with the laundry. I was shocked, since there are two huge signs in English with the instructions, but I decided to help them nonetheless. After loading the machines for them and explaining how much shekel they needed, woman #1 asked me the usual questions:

1) Are you visiting or do you live here?
2) When did you move here?
3) Where did you move from?

As soon as I answered the questions, she got down to business. She has a son (yes! a son!), who is 28 (a yungen), who just moved to Tel Aviv and is very handsome. She said this part with a wink and, for the first time ever, I smiled back and told her that I was off the market. I did a little ring wave and all of a sudden she backtracked and said, he just needs some friends. So, after what seemed like ages, I needed to find a way to shut her up and so I took her son's name and cell phone number. Fortunately, my dryer was nearing the end, so I quickly ended the conversation and got to work folding my laundry. As I was leaving the laundromat, she called after me to get in touch with her son and introduce him to some nice, young, single girlfriends!

Anyway, when I got back to my apartment I had just enough time to put away my laundry and eat a quick lunch before I had to run off to the Misrad Hapnim (Ministry of the Interior). I had to go there because this morning, when I called Misrad HaKlita (Ministry of Absorption), I was told that I could FINALLY have an appointment. Fortunately, the appointment is for 9:30 a.m. tomorrow morning. In order to officially get my paper that declares Aliyah (or return citizen since my Dad is a Sabra), I need a couple of things like my passports, my Teudat Zehut, 2 passport photos (good thing I brough 10 with me from the States!) and a piece of paper that lists when I have been in and out of the country. Interesting! I had to go to the Ministry of the Interior in order to get that piece of paper and - good for me - they were open from 2:30 - 5:30 p.m. this afternoon. Now, I've been there before, and it was a 2 hour ordeal. So, this time, I brought my iPod, a book and a bottle of water. Thinking I was going to be there for at least a couple of hours, I was ready to hunker down until it was my turn. But, with no line in sight, I went up to the information desk and the woman printed out the sheet that I needed! And, just like that, I was finished. So, I decided to walk all the way back to my apartment. With the heat already starting to pour over this City, it was a sweaty more-than-a-stroll back to my apartment. By the time I got in, I was hot and sweaty, and was starving again! Maybe it's the exercise!

A couple of noshes later, and here I am, blogging while watching The Wedding Planner on Hot. I don't particularly care for this movie, but there are some fun parts so I figured why not. I'm still pretty tired from the walk, and the sky has taken on a brownish and hazy sheen. The sand from Africa has made it to our shores and it's going to be grimy and hazy for a few days. I'm hoping tomorrow won't be so bad but, just in case, I made sure my t-shirts were all clean.

It took me a while to find this photo of Julia Roberts, I've been searching the web for a couple of days. This is the gown Julia wore to the 74th Annual Academy Awards and I thought it would be a perfect gown for my future sister-in-law to wear to the wedding. Without some of the skin showing, of course, it could be extremely elegant on her.

Well, I'm off to make myself a proper dinner before it gets too late at night to be eating! Wish me luck in tomorrow's heatwave!

No comments: