Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Break Me Off a Piece of That....



Gimme a break, gimme a break. Break me off a piece of that KitKat bar!

Welcome to the newest segment of my blog I like to call Crave of the Day, which will be listed at the end of each blog entry with a reason. Can ya guess what I have a hankering for today?

I was up at 7:00 a.m. this morning and folks, it's a miracle that not only did I make it to class but I got there 30 minutes early! With the bus service in Tel Aviv frequently fickle, I decided to be play it safe and leave with plenty of time to get to school. Since I am not a morning person, and it takes forever to get ready some days, I prepared as much as possible the night before. That meant putting together my lunch, filling up my water bottles (3 with this heat is sometimes not enough!), and packing up my knapsac. Unfortunately, I wasn't that thorough because I left my Philosophy book at home and I am practically lost in class without it.

Anyway, it was great to be back in my Jewish American Literature and Philosophy courses. I know a lot of people in my class would say otherwise, but for me, these classes are the highlight of the program. I am more than happy spending hours each week delving into these texts. And, it turns out that, without the book I still had no problem chatting with Professor Harvey. I think he missed me :)

The weather in Israel is pretty nasty today. It's hot and humid and the atmosphere is full of sand and dust. It was raining dust this morning when I left for the bus, and I was scared that my hair would be muddy since I walked out the door with wet hair. I guess the dust wasn't as thick because I was okay when I got to class.

Yesterday, the author and political writer Emunah Elon (yes, the wife of Knesset member Benny Elon) came to speak to our class about her novel When You Awaken Love. I haven't had a chance to finish the novel, for me it was a bit of a difficult read, but I've vowed to continue to work my way through it. Anyway, she was really interesting in class and she made a comment that resonated with me. She said that everyone who chooses to live in Israel has chosen to put their life in danger. I wonder if people think that way, and that's the excuse they used for their bad/good behavior. I'm going to have to puzzle that over some more.

So, I need some advice. I'm in a predicament that I'm not sure how to deal with it and it's really bother me. So basically, I have a friend here who is a lovely woman. She has been very kind to me since I've moved here and I think I've been very kind to her in turn. Here's the issue - she has a tendency to boss me around and talk down to me. She actually reminds me of a friend I used to have in New York, who did the very same thing to me, and eventually we just stopped speaking. I'm the type of person who doesn't like to be told what to do, and I really hate it when someone talks down to me, but this is really a fundamental problem. How do you tell someone that you have issue with what is essentially they're personality? I spoke to Buggy about how I feel, and my thoughts on the situations, but have decided to put off figuring out what to do with her. I really like her and want to be friends, but I have a feeling that if this continues, I'm just going to end up "phasing her out" of my life. Oy, I just don't know what to do!

Anyway, I have to go to the supermarket still and pick up some of the ingredients for cooking tomorrow and Friday. In the meantime, I have been craving Kit Kat bites all day but haven't found any in this Country and it's one of the numerous items on my pre-wedding no consumption list. If you're reading this and aren't on a diet - go out and have a Kit Kat bite for me!

No comments: