Sunday, November 04, 2007

Anniversary

Today is our anniversary of our first date, whee! Well, actually, it was really last night that was the anniversary of our first date. And, as we watched the people crowd into Rabin Square, it brought us back a year to when we first met. So, we decided to celebrate by semi-recreating the evening. I dressed in the same outfit I wore on our first date, put on a little make up, and we went to Rav Chen to the movies. We saw Rendition with Jake Gyllenhaal and Reese Witherspoon and we thought it was very good. Except, I thought Reese Witherspoon was a waste in the film. Given the nature of her character, and her million dollar a picture fee, I thought the role could have gone to someone less high profile. Nevertheless, we had a great time. After the movie, we drove by Emek and went to Tal Bagels to pick up dinner. But, when we got home, I couldn't imagine eating a bagel at 1:00 a.m. and then going to sleep on a full stomach, so I popped some saltines and sipped my Chai and waited for Shabbos to come out in the States.

We had a very interesting Shabbos. Friday night, we were invited to Buggy's brother's in-laws for dinner, and it was quite a cultural experience for me. They are Algerian/French and the food and traditions were extremely new to me. They started dinner off with a bunch of little "salatim" like "full" which is Israeli for beans. I'm not sure what kind of beans they were, but they didn't have a sauce or any added flavor to them. There were a lot of different carrot type of salatim, one with artichoke which was very good. And, a huge fennel salad. I rarely use fennel when I cook, so I was surprised to see an entire salad made up of just fennel. I thought it was tasty, Buggy didn't like it. So, no fennel in our house in the future. They also served an entire fish, but I couldn't really tell what kind of fish it was so I past on that course. The main was couscous, some sort of bean soup on top, a side of broccoli and hamburgers and meat. I'm trying to not eat too many carbs, so I opted for just some hamburgers, broccoli and a piece of meat. Everyone else tucked into their couscous and soup quite enthusiastically. I also skipped the cake and sorbet for dessert and stuck with fruit. Aside from the food, no one spoke any English. It was either Hebrew or French, and so I stayed mute for most of the evening and tried to pick up on conversations around me. It was fun, I actually enjoyed not talking so much at dinner.

Shabbos lunch, we walked to Buggy's Grandparents and had a traditional, Ashkenazi meal. I haven't had chulent in months, so it was nice to have a spoonful at lunch. Of course, Buggy and I felt bloated and full after lunch so we were happy with the 30 minute walk home. I took a little cat nap while Buggy read and Shabbos was soon over.

Today is going to be a fun one for me. Buggy will be busy working, so I'm going to walk to Emek Refaim to Tollmans to look around at some stuff for Thanksgiving dinner. I'm obsessed with Thanksgiving and this Friday night is going to be my dry run. Buggy and I are going to invite a few friends over and I'm going to cook a complete Thanksgiving meal. If everything goes well, I'll just repeat but in bigger bulk for the family Thanksgiving. I'm excited! I hope everything works out :) Plus, I have 8 more thank you cards to go and I'm going to write them today and be finish with it. I'm proud of myself, that I was able to get all our wedding thank you cards written and out within 3 months of our affair. I guess something positive has come out of this University strike.

Which brings me to my Product of the Day



Static Guard is an incredible invention. And, unfortunately, I can't seem to find it here in Jerusalem. So, I brought with me a couple of bottles from the States but I'm starting to run out. On Shabbos, I realized how much I needed Static Guard when we walked the 35 minutes from Baka to Talbieh to his grandparents and my skirt kept riding up and moving around. Not only was it staticky from the cleaners, which always happens when the lining of the skirt sticks to either my leg or the fabric of the skirt, but my skirts always seem to move. I constantly find myself turning around my skirts because the back moves to the front as I move. Some people would say that my skirts are too big on me, which in some aspects are true, but finding skirts that fit me are challenging. I have the little waist big tush body type, so that skirts fit nicely around the hips/stomach/tusch area but hang out at the waist. Most people solve this problem with a belt. But, I hate how belts look and feel, so I leave it out. And hence, the turning around as I walk problem. So, I guess if you see me walking in Jerusalem and I'm tugging at my skirt or moving it around so the slit - that's supposed to be in the back - is in the back, just say hi and smile. And remind me to use some Static Guard. It actually helps with both problems.

Till tomorrow!

XOXO

No comments: