Sunday, June 10, 2007

Heat Stroke



OK, so I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed. And, sometimes when Buggy says something, it doesn't really register. Like last night, when he told me that today was supposed to be the hottest day of the year so far. I didn't really get what he was saying, I was too busy being disappointed with the ending of Pirates of the Carribean, The End of the World. And, after we spent our morning in Jerusalem running some wedding errands and getting him some luggage for his trip to the States for the wedding, I boarded the bus to Tel Aviv without really giving a second thought to the temperature outside. After the long trek, all I wanted to do when I got off the bus was move my legs. Stretch them, as my late Zaydie A"H used to say, and walk home. It was hot outside, but I thought I could make it. I pushed my heavy knapsac higher onto my back and started the trek. By the time I got to Arlozorov/Weitzman I was feeling pretty parched. I stopped as soon as I crossed over Ibn Gvirol, rooted around in my bag for the bottle of water I stowed away last night, and downed it in three long gulps. I didn't care that water was dripping all over my shirt, it was already drenched with sweat and sticking to me. By Dizingoff, I contemplated sitting on one of the benches and resting before making the rest of the trip but pride got the better of me and I kept going. I stopped again to get the second bottle of water out of my bag and finished that while crossing the street towards Ben Yehuda. By the time I got into my apartment, my face was so red from the heat that I thought I had gotten a sunburn. I had to literally yank my shirt just to get it over my head, it was absolutely plastered to my body. I stood for 15 minutes in front of the AC, with a large glass of water, and tried to get the sweat to stop pouring out of my body. It took me a good hour before the room stopped spinning and while I'm hydrated now, I feel like I was hit by a bus. I just can't wait to crawl into bed and go to sleep, but I'm keeping myself up so I can keep drinking.

I finally booted up my computer and went to check the temperature and was shocked to see that, when I was walking home, it was 102 degrees F in Tel Aviv. Wow - that's just dumb of me! Next time, I listen to Buggy when he talks and take the bus home. Phew!

I'm procrastinating and it's not good. I have my final story due for class on Tuesday and I'm only one page into it, which does not bode well for me as I need it completed within the next 48 hours. I thought I'd be able to work on it all afternoon but, between not feeling great and my usual glut of Sunday phone calls, I haven't had time to devote to working! Buggy told me to just not answer the phone, but I just can't do that, its been programmed into me to always answer a ringing phone! Since, once again, there is an issue with my apartment I have to spend all day tomorrow waiting for the plumber to come and fix the tap that he never fixed last week. And, my bathroom is once again full of water and I'm not happy about it but the good news is this:

I GAVE NOTICE!

Woohoo, moving day is merely 5 weeks away and I cannot wait! I'm looking forward to leaving all these apartment issues behind me. And, while I am going to miss the proximity to the beach, my friends nearby and the shops and restaurants I've come to know and love this past year, I'm looking forward to the cooler climes of Jerusalem!

Friday was disappointing for me, as Buggy and I both expected to see the rainbow parade pass by my apartment. I was on the parade route but, when he left at Noon, the parade goers hadn't gotten this far yet. I had my camera out and everything to capture Tel Avivian's gay pride but it was all for nought. I took some pics of Buggy instead as we drove out of the City.

This week is going to be busy with school work but I'm really hoping tomorrow will be productive and I'll be able to complete my story and have something ready to submit by Tuesday evening.

Crave of the Day is the cinnamon buns and rugelach that they make at Marzipan in the shuk of Machane Yehudah. I already told Buggy he needs to take note of all the Crave's of the Day cause, once the wedding is over, I was one of everything I'm yearning for in the apartment! I am really looking forward to sinking my teeth into one of these sweet, delicious treats! If you haven't been to Marzipan in the shuk, you MUST make your way. It's a delectible experience!

No comments: