Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Staving off Dracula



Oh, have I been enjoying myself in the kitchen! With 74 days to go until the BIG DAY, I had to buckle down and get my eating under control. That meant that, after classes this morning/early afternoon, I hit the AM PM on Dizingoff and stocked my refridgerator. I bought tuna and salmon fillets and beef and chicken cutlets for grilling, garlic cloves for roasting, frozen berry's for breakfast smoothies and cans of chick peas for Hummus.

Yup, I am going to make hummus with absolutely NO oil. The hummus will be extremely tangy because of the inordinate amount of lemon juice, but it's going to be a nutritious and healthier alternative to the fatening options out on the market these days. I told Buggy I would bring him some to taste, warning him in advance that he really might not like it as much as the other hummus he loves, but he is really excited about my experimentation.

After I got back from Supersol, I cut off the heads of the garlic and roasted them at 180C for 45 minutes. They came out nice and soft and spreadable. I used two cloves on grilled beef for dinner. Delicious! My breath is so rank, Dracula would drop dead a few blocks from my apartment. Good thing I'm not seeing Buggy until Friday, cause he definitely does not want to kiss me now!

Anyway, it's really hot in Tel Aviv today. There is a Sharav, which is a heatwave. And, in Tel Aviv, that means the humidity is so thick that it's difficult to breath. After a great morning Jewish American Literature and Philosophy (another amazing lesson with Professor Harvey!), Tobye dropped me off at the train station and I walked back to my apartment. By the time I got in, I had criss-cross shaped sweat stains across my back from my knapsac and not even a deoderant made strong enough for a babboon could have kept me dry! Yup, that t-shirt went straight into my laundry bag and fortunately, tomorrow is laundry day!

So, last night, I had a late night date with my plumber. Once again, and it's third times a charm, I went to wash up and I opened the cabinet underneath my sink and there it was people. A flood. And once again, I was pulling out all of my stuff and praying that the water hadn't completely ruined my entire makeup case. It was soaked through and my powders, well, let's just say that they're not powder anymore. So, it was almost midnight and I called the plumber and told him to come ASAP. He told me to just shut off the water and he would eventually get to it. Well, nothing I turned shut off the water and so he got dressed and he came over to figure it out. Turns out, when he was here the other day to get the pebble out of my hot water line, he never reconnected my pipes correctly and they were leaking....ALL DAY LONG!

I am sooo happy that I'm moving out at the end of July. I'm looking forward to leaving this money pit behind!

So, tomorrow is gearing up to be a busy day for me. I have to do laundry in the morning and then I have a Dr.'s appointment in Herzliya Pituach around 3:30 in the afternoon. I guess going to the beach is out, since I'll be busy during all prime sun hours. Anyway, I have a story due on Tuesday and I need to really get to work on it since I'm facing the business end of a hard deadline and I can't miss this one! It's going to be my very last story of the year!

Ok - Grey's Anatomy is on and I'm off to watch it!

Crave of the Day is the Knock Out cookies and cream ice cream bars. All I wanted this afternoon, after my hike home, was a refreshingly sweet cookie treat! Instead, I settled down with a bowl full of watermellon and got the better end of the deal - or at least, that's what I hope my scale will say in the morning.

2 comments:

Bex said...

Is the Prof. Harvey you always write wbout Zeev Harvey, the Maimonides prof from HUJ by any chance?

Shira said...

Actually, it's Professor Steven Harvey from Bar Ilan University. Thanks for reading!