Monday, February 05, 2007

Aunt Holylandhipster

It's official - Holylandhipster is once again an Aunt! My little sister gave birth to a baby boy on Thursday morning and boy is that kid lucky I was shopping at Lord & Taylor when I got the call. Yup, I practically bought out the entire Ralph Lauren layette department at the tony department store. I was perusing the dresses section when I got the call - around 11:30 a.m. that morning - and all thoughts of shopping for myself went out the window. There was a new born baby who needed a bris outfit to think of and his new big sister needed something pretty too! I ended up buying so much stuff that I had to open a Lord & Taylor credit card just so I could get the added 15% off from whatever I spent that day. The gorgeous baby blue blanket alone was worth it! My new nephew is going to be styling on this Thursday morning - please g-d - when he keeps his date with the mohel.

So, Thursday was spent shopping once again and then taking care of some errands. Friday was pretty busy - I hit Main Street a couple of times to pick up some food for Shabbos, put in the dry cleaning, pick up Purim bags (yeah, I know, a little bit early but I've already thought about my theme and wanted to make sure I got some good stuff before the rest of the neighborhood converged onto the same store to buy bags for Purim, got cake for my folks for Shabbos and bought my Dad the lotto. Cause really, all you need is a dollar and a dream. I was given strict instructions -Quick Pick, Cash Only and like a parrot, I walked into the store and got both Lotto and Mega. I don't know how many years my Dad has been playing these games but I doubt he's ever won anything. Who knows - maybe he'll score big one day soon!

Shabbat was very quiet, I did an awful lot of sleeping to gear up for this week down here in Baltimore. Saturday night I started packing two suitcases bound for Israel with some of the booty I've collected in the first week of shopping. Since I'm down in Baltimore for week two of my three week "vacation" in the States, I tried to get as much done and crossed off of my to-do list as possible. I'm already feeling the exhaustion setting in and chances are, I won't be getting much sleep anytime soon.

Today I was up bright and early and soon found myself back on the Acela heading down towards Baltimore. It was wonderful to get here and really exciting to see both of my sisters. My niece was soo cute when she saw me too, and she came over and gave me this toothy grin and a great big hug. I gave her the Elmo coloring book and the magic markers and she was very excited about those gifts. After one sister left to go back to her brood in Silver Spring, I was left to settle in and get acquainted with my new nephew. I had to formally induct him into the special club - the second child born on the first of the month club. Fortunately for him, his Aunt and Father are already card carrying members. He's just so adorable and little, he likes to scrunch himself up onto my shoulder and sleep. I have to admit, I am very comfortable, and he has burrowed himself in between my neck and shoulder, up against my chest and even tried to take off my head to settle his right on top of my neck. Clever boy already!

After giving the beautiful niece her bath, she requested that I take care of her night time ritual and I read her books while she drank a bottle, and sang her to sleep. Her newest favorite tune is The Witch Doctor and she likes to dance as I chant ooh eee ooh ahh ahh, ching chang, walla walla bing bang. No idea what she sees in that song but if it gets her to sleep, I'm a happy Aunt.

I've got about an hour left before I have to give Buggy a wake up call in Jerusalem. Then, it's off to meet Mr. Sandman before my busy day tomorrow. There is folding laundry, and food shopping, and muffins to bake and the niece to get dressed and ready for her full day at day care. It's nice to be needed, and I'm looking forward to helping out this week.

Literature of the day is People magazine with Tyra Banks on the cover. The Supermodel is now up to 161 pounds and she's proud as hell with her new look. Great article if you can pick up the copy - before they completely disappear off of the news stands.

1 comment:

BagelUndertheCouch said...

what gets me is...if she thinks it's ok to be that big...why is she telling the press that they are horrible for portraying her that way--or, rather, just taking a picture of her? and what's with this run-down on how much she's weighed over the years? 10$ says she hired a personal trainer and starved herself for a few weeks before she came out on her talk show in the bathing suit, again.

::sigh:: i don't even know why i care! just browsing blogs--congratulations on the new nephew!