Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood

Just as I was about to start composing this blog, about what a glorious day is was today in Tel Aviv, my Mom called to tell me that my sister had an accident. Apparently, there is a lot of ice in Silver Spring and when she was leaving the house this morning to go to work she slipped on the ice in the driveway and fell. She broke her ankle in 3 places and is being wheeled into surgery as we speak. I'm praying for a speedy and fast recovery.

I woke up twice this morning. Once, at 10:00 a.m. when my alarm went off, and another time when Buggy called to wake me at 12:45 p.m. Oh yeah, this is going to be a lousy jetlag experience! I couldn't fall asleep until 4:45 a.m. this morning, but at least I had plenty to do.



This is what it looks like now across the street from my apartment building. I shouldn't be so shocked, I was "forewarned" when they erected this huge sign that mentioned construction on Arlozorov Street. Had I been able to understand the sign, I probably wouldn't have been so surprised when Yuda dropped me off last night next to this pile of pipes and dirt.



The noise is pretty bad, as the Catepillars have been ripping up earth and pipes. I'm waiting for the worst to happen: a pipe will burst, my water won't be any good because of some sort of break, the cesspool being accidentally punctured and waste flowing down the street, etc. Hey, I never said I was an optomist people - I'm a realist!



By the time I left my flat this afternoon, it was well into the upper 70's and bright blue skies. Not one cloud could be found on the horizon. I put on my new pair of New Balance sneaks and headed down Ben Yehuda to change money. I ran a couple of other errands like putting in the new skirt that was stained to be cleaned, buying hangers so I can hang up all the new clothing I brought back, and picking up some food for the rest of the week. The oranges here are so good, I had one for breakfast! I don't know what happened with California and Florida, but folks back in the States who can get their hands on Israeli oranges should definitely do it. They are so sweet and wonderful!

A couple of people have been complaining that I buried my engagement news within the body of one of my recent blogs. Rest asured, I am not hiding my engagement at all. I'm thrilled beyond belief that Buggy and I are getting married and can't wait until the big day.

Like good ol' Bob said: The Times They Are A-Changin'. Over the next few blogs, I'm going to hopefully map out the future of the blog as The HolyLandHipster goes from citizen non-resident to citizen newly resident.

Brace yourselves folks, cause I'm betting that making Aliyah this summer is going to be more stressful than planning the wedding!

Stay tuned to the blog cause I'm going to scour the wedding district of Tel Aviv and take pictures of all the ugly wedding gowns this wonderful country has to offer! I should have plenty to choose from folks, plenty to choose from!

No comments: