Sunday, February 25, 2007

The Lambs are Still Screaming



Like Jodie Foster said in Silence of the Lambs, the lambs are still screaming. Yet, for me, it's the image of Thursday's plumbing incident that still plays over and over in my head. Like one of those badly edited movies, cuts from the river of waste flowing through my bathroom intersperse with cuts of the workers laughing and tracking crap throughout my apartment. Even with a 48 hour distance, I can still see it streaming. Yuck!

I spent a nice Shabbos here in Jerusalem, recouperating from the trauma and trying to catch up on sleep. I think I've finally beaten the jet lag, although I'm not 100% positive. I didn't sleep that well on Friday night, but then I took a nice long nap on Shabbos afternoon and was able to get in about 5 hours last night. With school starting on Tuesday, I'm really hoping to be back in a routine.

So, Buggy and I have been working steadily on wedding plans. In the meantime, I've decided to take an informal poll of married couples to get some wedding/marriage/relationship advice. Some advice was solicited while others were completely unsolicited. Either way, I think the comments have been pretty interesting.

Dad
When Buggy called my Dad to ask for my hand in marriage (how beautifully old fashioned and wonderful of him!), my Father told him that we are now a Team and we need to remember to act as a team. Dad reiterated this statement during the drive to the airport last week, and we couldn't agree with it more. Putting it into practice is going to be a bit challenging, we have both been single and independent for so long, it's going to be an adjustment to remember we need to consult each other before making important decisions.

Cousin Tova's wedding advice
"Its really easy to get swept up in the details, so just remember why you are doing all of this and keep in mind that the wedding is really a 5 hour party. What's really important is your relationship with Buggy, so don't lose focus of the goal. Also, expect wedding details to go wrong so if things don't turn out exactly as planned, you aren't upset the day of the wedding."
Pretty decent advice!

Omama (Buggy's Grandmother)
Buggy and I spent Friday night at his Grandparents and we had a really nice dinner with them. Before dessert, I asked his Omama what is the secret to a happy marriage. They have B"H, been married for 60+ years and they still look at each other through honeymooners eyes. Omama's advice was that marriage is all about "give and take", and that no matter what, "we should always say a nice good night to one another before going to bed.

I'm going to continue with this poll so I hope y'all aren't bored with the subject matter!

Buggy is really busy with school work today so I'm going to head back to Tel Aviv in the early afternoon. I'm hoping to get myself to the gym at some point this afternoon and will probably have to do a load of laundry. I want to wash anything and everything that was in the bathroom on Thursday. D'ya think I need to throw out my toothbrushes though? I think I might need to invest in new ones, just because the thought of using them (even though they weren't near the floor on Thursday) really repulses me.

Literature of the day is Pastries: A Novel of Desserts and Discoveries by Bharti Kirchner, cause this is as close to sweets I'm going to be getting until after the wedding!

No comments: