Monday, March 26, 2007

The Alderman



My classmate Lisa has been going on and on about this one particular book, entitled Disobedience by British novelist, Naomi Alderman. The novel has been met with tremendous critical acclaim from the publishing community, and has been regarding with disdain by the Orthodox community. I just put in my pre-Pesach book order at Barnes and Noble and decided that Disobedience was my must read for the Yom Tov. I also picked up two books for Buggy, one for class about kindergarten architecture while the other is a Jeffrey Deaver novel. I just hope I have enough room to bring everything back with me in a few weeks!

Today was another gorgeous day. Itai called early in the morning to tell me that I owe him money to cover the electric and Arnona bills. I am fine paying the Arnona fee, but when he told me that the electric cost was 620 shekel for the past two months, I told him I wasn't going to pay that ridiculous amount. Considering the fact that I was abroad for 26 out of the 28 days in February, it makes no sense for me to split the bill in half. Well, he hemmed and he hawed about breaking the bill down based on usage especially since we had agreed initially to just split it in half. But, I prevailed and managed to convince him to knock the price down for 100 shekel.

I think he gets off on putting the screws to me early in the morning, which can only explain why he felt it necessary to call me at 9:15 a.m. Good thing I was already up and working on my school assignments.

Today was a simply beautiful day in Tel Aviv! If the weather was perpetually like this, I would be a very happy woman. I tried to spread out my errands to take maximum advantage of being outdoors. I walked to the farther post office down Dizengof to mail a couple of Thank You notes for some engagement presents Buggy and I received, and then I walked to the SuperSolt that's farther away from my apartment to get some chicken for dinner. After that, I took out some money to cover the bills Itai paid and then headed back to the apartment to do some cleaning. I love my Swiffer, it was the smartest thing I brought back with me from the States. I'm going to have to remember to pick up some more swiffer dry's before I start running out.

I put together my packing list this afternoon and all I have to do tomorrow night is to follow the list and pack. I know, I'm anal, but what can I do? If I don't write things down then I'm not going to remember and then I forget important things like picking up a present from Buggy's Grandmother to bring with me back to the States.

Anyway, I'm off to pick up another box of eye drops so that I have plenty for Yom Tov. I'm really looking forward to tomorrow being my last day of classes for 3 weeks!

No comments: