Friday, March 16, 2007

Pesach at HolyLandHipster's House

My blogger isn't letting me upload this great photo of a giant horseradish root. That's sad, beause I really wanted the world to see what a complete moron I can be sometimes. So, today has been one of those days. Now, I woke up on the right side of the bed, and then had a really productive morning. I spent 5 hours this a.m. working on my thesis proposal, and am almost done with a first draft. This includes a pretty comprehensive bibliography, although, I still have no idea how to write a bibliography for biblical texts. For example, how to you reference the Book of Esther in a bibliography?

About Noon, as the rain was thundering down all around me, I somehow got into a bad mood. I can't really pinpoint why, but maybe it's just all the stress of school, wedding and Aliyah that finally got to me. But, just cause I was in a bad mood doesn't mean I have to shirk my responsibilities! I was having Shabbos guests and that meant I needed to do some cooking, cleaning and food shopping.

I chatted with Marns for a bit on her way into work and then ran out to do my laundry. I didn't realize how cold it is outside and I was freezing in my sweatshirt and sweatpants. The laundromat was really crowded but I was able to get my machine and work on my thesis proposal as my clothing swirled around in the dryer. After the laundry was done and I had all the clean sheets back on my bed, I met Lana for a quick catch up. We hadn't spoken or hung up in a few weeks now so it was nice to see her and catch up.

We ended up heading over to the Supermarket and now I know why I prefer to shop alone. I wanted to make this carmalized carrot and parsnip soup and needed three parsnips. I saw these huge, white, knobbing looking things in shrink wrap and they looked a bit like parsnip but not really. But there was something really familiar about them and when I asked Lana what she thought, she agreed that it was parsnip. So, I piled two big one into my basket and kept on shopping. I somehow made it back to my apartment will all of the food I purchased and then I was out again to visit my favorite people. Miriam was no where to be found but Boris helped me pick out two melons that will be good for lunch on Shabbos. I also decided to invite Lana and Gayle for Shabbos lunch. Eventhough I haven't seen Buggy since Sunday, I've decided not to be so selfish and share the wealth. With Lana being a vegetarian though, I have to come up with another sidedish so that she won't starve at my meal!

With everything purchased, I got to work on pulling everything together. Normally, I cook the soup first but I decided tonight to take care of it after I cook everything else. I put in the red rice, cooked up the pasta for the macaroni and meat, browned the meat and sauteed the onions for the macaroni and meat, cleaned the chicken and seasoned them, put them in the oven to cook for an hour and a half, cleaned and set the pargiot to marinate in the sweet chili sauce, steamed the carrots and sugar snap peas, put the macaroni and meat into the oven to cook, steamed the edemame and then SHELLED two bags, cooked up the 7 small potatoes I had left in my vegetable bin, dressed the carrots and sugar snap peas, and then it was time to get ready to make the soup. I took out an onion and cut it into julienne strips. I went into the fridge and took out the carrots and the two packages of parsnip. I was on the phone with Buggy as I went about my business and I noticed that the parsnip just didn't look like my unsual white carrot. I started peeling the "parsnip" and my eyes immediately started to water!

Now, in my parents house, my job erev Pesach is to make the Charoset and grate the Maror. Eventhough we only use the romaine lettuce these days for maror, my parents are very traditional and like to have the white horseradish in bowls at the table. So, every year, I cry over the maror and grate enough for two big bowlfulls. This year, B"H, will be no different but tonight, I didn't feel the need to continue the tormet. I told Buggy how upset I was with the mess up and, since it was way too late, I wouldn't be able to go out until the morning to find the right ingredients. That's when Buggy offered to make us onion soup for Shabbos! All he needed were 5 onions cuts into julienne strips, some white wine, chicken soup powder, 1 tablespoon of flour, some oil and hot water.

DONE! I've got all of those ingredients in my house and was more than happy to cut the onions. And so, there is a big bag of julienned onions sitting in my vegetable crisper waiting for Buggy to come along and make us soup for Shabbos. I'm really looking forward to him getting in the kitchen and have already told him that since soup really isn't my forte, his job when we're married is to make soup for Shabbos! And maybe occassionally grill too.

Well, I have to be up in a few hours and I want to have some time tomorrow to review my thesis proposal and finish cooking and cleaning for Shabbos. Song of the day is Whistle for the Choir by The Fratellis. Man, these guys are good!

No comments: