Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Tel Aviv Earthquake

The bed was shaking me awake this morning. I held on to dear life, clutching the edges of my matress, as wave after wave of shaking lulled me out of a deep sleep. I thought it was an earthquake. But I was wrong - it was just this:



Lord knows what they are doing to my street today but I don't really like being this close to a powertool. My block is extremely narrow and each time the big crane swings to put up more and more dirt, I feel it will come crashing through my living room windows and knock me off of my kitchen chair. I never even knew this was a fear of mine. That being said, I'm happy that at least it wasn't really an earthquake.

I was supposed to head to school today but I can't make it. No, it has nothing to do with the fact that whatever Buggy and I ate at seudah last night really, really did not sit well with us (good thing he was in Jerusalem and I was in Tel Aviv cause I only have one toilet). But I have to go into the Dr. this afternoon for another ultrasound and they could only fit me in this afternoon. It's such a joy working with the health care community of this country. That topic can be the subject of another blog some other time.

I'm not looking forward to this ultrasound. Not at all. But, I'm home today and drinking the requisite gallon of water so at least they can get the pictures they need.

And, since I'm home instead of in class, I decided to take advantage of the time and make some headway on two very important fronts: wedding and writing.

Let's start with the writing first. So, last I spoke to Bret, he suggested I really use up the space in my work room to help me with the plots and characters of my stories.



Since I need permission from my landlord before I put anything up on the walls, I decided to use yellow post it notes to flesh out my stories. This morning, I worked on character development of Lazy-eyed Lansky, a man who is not related to Meyer Lansky but is fascinated with the Jewish mob. I also started on character development of Esther Karney, a mythological being who has lived on the Upper West Side but hasn't been seen in years. She is 300+ pounds and had to have a limb/fingers amputated because of an unfortunate accident.

Where this will lead - lord knows - but I'm hoping it will be a fun ride for me.

As far as the wedding is concerned, I made another list. I am drowning in To Do lists. I have to call and make a fitting appointment, a makeup trial, select a band, call a new florist, e-mail my friend Aura about our monogram, get the wording done on the invitation, etc. I'm just going to have to take each item on the list one by one and get it all done.

On Friday night, Buggy's parents had guests for dinner. I spoke to Portia, a lovely woman from San Antonio, about marital advice. She has been happily married for 38 years and told me advice that he mother gave her when she got married. She said that never, ever, when fighting with your spouse use terms of words like leaving you, divorce or we should separate because once you go there, your relationship will never be the same. The other advice she gave us was never to fight about money. They have never fought about money because, as soon as they got married, they pooled all they owned and there was never a question of his or her money. It is all their money.

Interesting advice. I really liked what she said about using certain terms, it makes tremendous sense to me.

Buggy and I were supposed to have an engagement party on Thursday night here in Tel Aviv. Unfortunately, the Gabbai of my shul decided to have HIS engagement party on the same day and at the same time. So, Buggy and I are going to have to change our plans eventhough we made the plans first. The argument being that the Gabbai of the shul has lived him for a number of years and I've only been here for 6, and so I should be the one to change my plans.

That's, quite frankly, complete garbage but I'm going to do it because Buggy and I deserve to have a good showing at our party. We're going to B"H change it for Saturday night here in Tel Aviv and hope that our friends and family will come out even though they have work the next day.

Back to Purim yesterday in Jerusalem. I have to say, I don't remember the last time I enjoyed Purim like I did yesterday. It was a lot of fun. The party on Sunday night at Buggy's cousin was great! Cousin Neil came over after a date and we sat in the corner of the apartment and shared drinks (well, Buggy and I shared a drink and Cousin Neil, as usual, abstained) and surveyed the landscape of singles. At one point, Buggy and I tried to convince Cousin Neil to mingle but he wasn't feeling it. I think it was because he wasn't feeling well, and he later discovered that he was running on 101 fever. Poor guy, he was very out of it at the seudah yesterday.

Buggy and I were at megillah reading at Chovivei, which was great fun for the kids. They string balloons across the balconey of the women's section and give the kids long sticks with nails at the end to pop the balloons every time we got to Haman. Buggy's nephew popped a few with a big smile on his face, it was very cute. Somehow, miracle of miracles, we managed to get up in time for the 8:00 a.m. Megillah reading and then it was off to town to pick up the last of the items we needed for Shaloch Manot. We went back to Buggy's apartment where we had our own little assembly line. I opened the boxes and put in the cakes, Buggy took one of each chocolate item we purchased and put it into the box, then picked out the cards with the cholocate quotes on them (all individuallized for maximum effect!) and then I closed the box, tied the orange bow and labeled them for easy delivery. Buggy was impressed with my efficiency, but I had to explain to him the years of delivering Shaloch Manot with my Dad in Kew Gardens Hills. We had to section off the neighborhood (based on which side of Main Street) and make a list of who lived where, so that we went in order. I guess Buggy isn't used to delivering Shaloch Manot like that, but he was more than happy to comply. And, of course, I made sure we had a spare just in case someone gave to us who wasn't on our list. We got 2 surprised Shaloch Manot, one from his Aunt in Efrat and the other from a friend of his in the neighborhood.

Anyway, I'm off to run an errand. Mom just called and we caught up, so now I can leave the apartment for a bit. It will be a good thing for me too as the drilling is driving me a bit crazy. I hope this will all be over soon!

No comments: