Sunday, July 15, 2007

Holy City Home



I'm taking a break from unpacking to blog an I don't think I've ever been this exhausted. Last night, I didn't get to bed until 3:30 a.m. Between last minute packing and trying to prepare for the move, I was just too hyped up. But, I knew that I had the entire morning to sleep since the movers were coming until the afternoon.

My cell phone rang at 7:00 a.m. and I was jerked out of a deep sleep. The movers were downstairs. I laughed. I told him there was no way in hell I was letting him upstairs because I still had some packing to do and I was in bed! He insisted and I pushed back. I was holding 2100 shekel for these folks, he was going to have to wait. I jumped out of bed, called Buggy and woke him up, he was also up late helping me so he was in an even deeper sleep, and then I just raced around the apartment getting things done. I still had to pack 5 boxes, which included my linens and pillows and things! Buggy showed up just in time and he helped me get my stuff packed. Meanwhile, Itai called me and said that he doesn't want me to let the movers use the elevator. He said it wasn't meant for movers and they can't use it. I was frustrated with that but was happy that he was at least leaving to go to work and wouldn't be around to watch.

At 8:15, I was finally ready and dressed and Buggy let the movers up. I told them that they couldn't use the elevators for the boxes and they went off on me! They said the price they quoted was a price that included the elevator and they wouldn't have given me that cheap of a price if they knew they had to go up and down stairs. Finally, after some heated negotiations, I made them sign a form that said they were responsible for any damage to the elevator if they break it. And then, the movers got to work, and started loaded my boxes up and getting them out of the apartment. I was running back and forth to let them into the elevator and watching to make sure they wouldn't make any holes in the apartment walls. It was very stressful. At one point, I went out to watch the movers and the guy was smoking in the apartment hallway and then dropping the butts on the floor and grinding them out. I was not pleased with how filthy they were.

And then, the movers told me that they couldn't dismantly my bed. That the carpenter had messed up and they couldn't take it apart. At that point, Buggy ran to the parking lot to pick up the car so that we could head to his apartment in Jerusalem as soon as the movers were done. Well, I told him that he had to either figure it out or find another way to get the frame out of the apartment. He finally got his tools and took the frame apart and then the problem was solved. But, I saw that they were loading all of the bed parts into the elevator. At one point, the Hot cable guy came to pick up my modem and cable box and he shoved himself into the elevator with my mattress. I was NOT happy and told them that they couldn't do that. They promised they would only use the elevator for boxes. They tried to tell me to relax but I was really annoyed and, with less than 3 hours of sleep, I wasn't functioning well.

So, they finally loaded everything up and then one of the movers spent 15 minutes in the bathroom. It was gross. Thank god I hadn't packed the spray. Mr. no neck mover stopped traffic on Arlozorov (he was incredible looking, no neck, huge shoulders and chest and was "moving" me in sandals!) and we were off. Buggy and I were both so exhausted but we made it to the car and started driving to Jerusalem. I had also done some cleaning in the apartment as the floors were filthy, but I have to go back next Sunday for a meeting at misrad klita so I'm going to finish cleaning the place. I'm sure when Itai shows the apartment tonight he'll call me with some words about how dirty the place is. Oh well, he already has all my money, nothing more I can do about it.

Buggy and I beat the movers to his apartment in Katamon and were able to relax a little before they came to get his stuff. They only moved his computer desk, his foosball table, and three mini card tables. It took two seconds to do and then they followed us to the apartment in Baka. They moved everything in and I directed, while Buggy ran to the Makolet to buy them water and stuff. One of the movers got too rough with a door and now I need to have someone come and fix the little hole. We need to get a doorstop so it won't keep happening too. And then, they moved the refridgerator and just as we had feared, there is no enough room for it in the area that's left. Fortunately, the contractor who already did some work in this apartment, is doing work for our upstairs neighbors. He was in the building when the movers came and he came down and measured the area. He's going to be in the apartment bright and early tomorrow to shave off 10 centimeters for the fridge to fit.

And then I got to work, as Buggy chilled out because he has a big test tomorrow and I didn't want him overly stressed. And, little by little, I got things upacked. First, I tackled everything in the kitchen but the pantry items. Then, I put together my bedroom so I could have someplace to crash tonight. After that, I put together some of the electronic stuff. The shower guy stopped by to measure the bathroom for the glass door and so I had to stop and talk to him, and now I'm going to get to work putting the pantry stuff into the kitchen. After I'm done with the pantry, I'm going to stop for the evening. I'm so wiped, I don't know what to do with myself. I'm also pretty dehydrated, haven't gone to the bathroom since this morning, so I'm going to drink the water Buggy brought me and try to relax.

Tomorrow is going to be a very busy and early morning. A whole bunch of people will be in and out, including the Mei Eden guys and the contractor. He said he was going to be able to fix the area for the fridge, so at least that's good news. Tomorrow is also Buggy's big test, so I'm going to be solo for majority of the day. I think Buggy is going to have to pick me up some food since I'm going to be homeward bound until at least the afternoon.

Tuesday doesn't look any better as the cable guys are coming and we have to run out to do some errands with his family. In the midst of all this, I'm going to have to find some time to study for my final in a few weeks.

Good luck to me.

There is no Crave of the Day as all I want right now is my bed.

Till tomorrow's saga!

No comments: