Thursday, July 05, 2007

Sketchy Hassid



I blogged this morning from YouTube but for some reason it hasn't posted yet. It was all about my experience sitting on the bus last night with SNL's Lunch Lady as my companion. I hope it posts soon, it was a funny video.

So, here's a rundown of the past few days:

Tuesday was the fast day (17 Tammuz) and I stayed indoors and tried to keep cool. It was hard because I was really, really thirsty but with the AC running most of the day, I managed to muddle through. I did some more writing on Professor Kramer's final paper, and also did plenty of cooking! I made chicken with tomato, garlic and mushrooms, I baked sole with a soy sauce, ginger and lemon dressing and then steamed some brussel sprouts (I have to use them up, they're in my freezer!), and I made some more of my Italian dressing. I started planning the menu for Shabbat and did some thinking about that, and then spoke to some folks back in the States for a while, and then that was pretty much it! The fast way over and I was off to bed for an early night. I have a 7:00 a.m. wake up on Wednesday and, since it was my last day of classes, I really wanted to be refreshed.

At 3:00 a.m., I was still bouncing off the walls. That's the problem with fast days for me. I serve myself breakfast food at 8:30 p.m. and my body thinks it's morning time. I think I called my Mom four times to complain. Finally, Dad called me back and told me to get up and just start packing. Since I really, really didn't want to do that, I read a bit and then went to bed.

When my alarm went off at 7:00 a.m. on Wednesday, it was very, very painful! I forced myself out of bed and into the shower, and then quickly went about getting my stuff together. Since July 4th was my anniversary (8 months since Buggy and I first started dating), I was going to Jerusalem after class to celebrate! So, for the first time in a number of months, I actually put on makeup and work a nice outfit and shoes (yeah, I left my jean skirt and sneakers at home). Class was really good, it was sad saying goodbye to Professor Kramer, but I've thoroughly enjoyed his course. Then it was off to Professor Harvey's, which was really, really hard for me and not just because the topics we're had to cover in such a short period of time was intense. Some people hated the course, I loved it! I found the topic fascinating and I thought Professor Harvey did a good job with the teaching. Anyone who can intellectually stimulate me is A-ok in my book. Anyway, very sad that Jewish Philosophy is coming to an end, but it was nice learning some Maimonides this semester. Professor Harvey tried to cram in a quick review, which was a little confusing, and then the year came to an official close.

Wow! I can't believe it. Where did this year go? Time, sometimes, goes by really, really fast.

I bid my friends in the class a good summer and good luck studying for the final, and then I walked across the Geha bridge to pick up the 400 bus to Jerusalem. Buggy picked me up and we were OFF on our fun afternoon which included me watching The Blair Witch Project while Buggy did some work. We paid a shiva call to his Grandfather and saw some of his relatives and then we went to Ragu in Baka for dinner. It's a very nice meat Italian restaurant and the service was pretty decent.

I ordered the kabobs and Buggy had the meat lasagna. We were both very happy with our food and ate fairly quickly because I had to still get the bus back to Tel Aviv. As we were walking to the car, which was parked a few blocks away on Isaccar street, we saw a 24 hour makolet. I like to see what these places have and, since Buggy and I are P"G going to be living in Baka, wanted to familiarize myself with the neighborhood bodega. The selection wasn't too impressive, but they had enough of the basics that I would need at 2:00 a.m.

Anyway, as we left the bodega and started walking down Reuven street, we noticed a Chasid (decked out in full Chasic garb complete with hat, coat and gartel) fall in line with us. He started looking at us and I got a little wierded out. Then, the Chasid started talking to us. The conversation went as follows:

Chasid: Hello, do you speak English

Buggy & HLH - yes

Chasid: Do you know how far it is to Geula?

Buggy: you're pretty far away, it will take about and hour? Are you walking?

Chasid: yes

Buggy: yeah, at least an hour by foot and it's in that direction (hand motion away from where we were going)

Chasid: ok, thank you

HLH & Buggy: Good luck

Chasid still continues walking with us, and HLH is starting to feel more uneasy.

HLH - you know, if you go back up towards Derek Beit Lechem you could probably catch a bus into town and that would be closer to Geula

Chasid: oh okay, great, thanks

Chasid continues to walk with us.

Chasid: where are you from?

HLH - New York

Chasid: I'm from England (not hint of an accent)

HLH - ummm, ok

At this point, Buggy pulls on my hand and we slow down. Chasid passes us and keep walking, but stops to look back at u s, and then keeps walking. The light on the street has blown out and it's dark. Sketchy Chasid makes a left by the car. We catch up a few seconds later and see the Chasid make another right and head back towards the way he came.

I asked Buggy if he thought the guy was trying to rob us. He said no, he thought the Chasid was looking for a prostitute and that he was talking to us to try to allay his guilt. I asked him why the Chasid would be in that neighborhood looking for a prostitute! Buggy told me that apparently, a few years ago, prostitutes would hang out on Derek Chevron and pick up some John's.

Lovely. So looking forward to running into prostitute seeking Chasids with guilty consciouses.

Anyway, I got to the bus station and a 480 to Tel Aviv was loading so I got in line. Then, the big Lunch Lady sat next to me and I was uncomfortably squished the entire ride home. The rest of the Lunch Lady blog should hopefully post soon!

Today I just could not get out of bed. Buggy and I kept calling each other to wake each other up, and then begged for 30 more minutes of snoozing. Finally, I was out of bed by 10:45 a.m. I had a ton of errands on my list for the day and I really didn't have the luxury to keep sleeping.

After getting dressed and grabbing a peach for breakfast, I strapped on my sneaks, grabbed some laundry for the dry cleaners and headed out of the apartment. Apparently, I had another package waiting for me at the post office all the way down on Hayarkon 61. This is 2 blocks past the American Embassy, and is about a mile from my apartment. It's all good, I needed some exercise! But, it was stinking hot walking at Noon, so I tried to take it easy and cool off with my water bottle.

Once I picked up my latest issue of The Southern Review, I went back up Ben Yehuda street to check into my gym. I wanted to sell my membership because I have until the end of September on it. Well, the told me that in order to switch my name to someon else's, I would have to pay the gym 150 shekel. Extortion! Don't use Pure in Tel Aviv, it's a crappy gym that likes to take your money.

I hit the SuperSol next door and picked up some stuff for Shabbos and, while I was waiting to check out, this American woman in line next to me had an absolutely s**t fit for no real reason. She wanted to check out but the cashier, after finishing up with the person in front of her, left for a few minutes to check on something. The large American woman yelled: Where are you going? What the hell is with you people in this country! Finish up and let's go!

I was embarressed for her, there was no excuse for her attitude. Some people need to chill out, the cashiers take their time in this country, it's just something you need to learn to deal with. Otherwise, it's going to be an unpleasant experience food shopping in Israel.

I got back to the apartment and took the gfilta fish out to thaw. This weeken is all about using what I have in my house! So, the menu is as follows:

Friday night - marinara gfilta fish, Israeli salad, roasted broccoli spears, whole wheat pasta with tomato sauce, chicken in tomato garlic sauce and sorbet for dessert
Kiddush on Shabbos - apple nut muffins and fruit
Shabbos lunch - edemame with dipping sauce, grilled steak salad with warm shallot dressing, pargiot served two ways (one way I can eat, the other Buggy enjoys), quinoi with sauted mushrooms and onions and sorbet for dessert

I've got the muffins in the oven now and have to go to the Super again to pick up some pargiot. They were out over at SuperSol.

On to the wedding front - LOTS of interesting and exciting developements have been happening! First of all, most of our friends and family have received the invitations and we're getting responses! A lot of people are coming and I'm super excited!!! On the 4th, my parents went to the hall to have a meeting with the caterers about the food. Wow, when my Mom told me about all the schmorgasbord items I started salivating! The dinner also sounds fantastic and there is a really nice thing the hall will be doing for guests as they arrive.

BUT, the absolute BEST news of them all is that the wedding cake is going to be exactly what I wanted! A 5-tiered strawberry shortcake!!!! And, with the flowers that Stefan's will be using to decorate the cake, I know it's going to be absolutely gorgeous! I can't wait to shove Buggy's face into a big hunk of cake! Yea!

No Crave of the Day today because it's so hot outside, the thought of eating anything makes me nauseated!

No comments: