Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Marking Territory



Buggy has marked his territory by moving his foosball table into the apartment. For now, we've left it in the living room but we're going to have to figure out where it will ultimately go. With no Machsan (storage room), we're going to have to improvise with the space we have.

We are both really, really tired. We haven't slept since Saturday night and it seems like we just keep getting less and less shut eye. The amount of stuff we did yesterday was insane, really, and I'm still shocked that I was able to get out of bed when the cable guys called this morning.

So, recap on what went down yesterday. After Mei Eden came and the contractor successfully moved the fridge into its spot, took the cabinet back to shave it down and left, Buggy finished his exam and came over. We had a list. We needed to go to the supermarket to pick up food! And, since it's the 9 days and we can't eat meat, I was trying to figure out how to be creative with dairy.

But first, Buggy's Mom wanted to come by and see how things were coming with the move. She came over and took a tour, walked around some of the boxes, and then offered to take us out to dinner. We happily accepted! We were both starving and realized that we should probably eat sooner rather than later. Then. Buggy's Mom asked me to pick out silver candlesticks, which she is buying me P"G as a wedding gift. This is what I selected, what do you think?



After Buggy's Mom left, the cabinet guy called about the handles for the bathroom cabinet. He needed to come in and install them but we were off to the supermarket. I told Buggy I wanted the handles more than I wanted food, so we told him to call us when he was near, and we left to try to get some food. On the way to the Supermarket, Buggy got a call from Fedex. His handheld computer broke a few days ago and the company was sending it back, so we now had to drive to his parents house to pick up the Fedex package. Well, we were so hungry and it was almost 4:00 that we went to Faza for a quick lunch. Buggy had the whole wheat pasta and I had a salad. Right before we were done, the cabinet guy called to say he was on his way, so we raced back to the apartment to let him in. It took him 10 minutes to literally drill in holes and add handles to the cabinets in the bathroom.

As soon as he left, Buggy had to rush out for an appointment, and I was left to clean up after the cabinet guy. You know, I'm happy to give people glasses of water when they come into the apartment to do work. Truly happy. But, when I then find the cup crushed and discarded on the bedroom floor, that just makes me angry. After Buggy's appointment, he went back to his apartment to move his computer, TV, and some other electronics. Since the computer desk is here and the cable guys came this morning, Buggy needed his whole set up ready for the cable guys to hook up.

That took almost 2 hours! It was heavy stuff, and Buggy and I coordinated watching over the car and bringing into the apartment his things. While I was waiting for Buggy, I started reading over my notes for next weeks Philosophy final. I'm up to Saadia Gaon and his introductin to the book Emunot V'Deot. I remember that Saadia came before Rambam and that he was writing his book to help people deal with the theologians of the time. I've got a long way to go before I'm ready for this test!

I couldn't read that much because I was so tired, so I looked out the window and waited for Buggy to come. While looking out the window, I noticed this strange man just hanging out outside. It looked like he was "casing the joint" as they say in the States and I got suspicious. Soon, two other men seemed to be doing the same, and now my suspicion was boardering on paranoia. When Buggy finally finished loading in the stuff, and we were now 30 minutes late to meet with parents for dinner, we locked up and left. I didn't like the way these two guys looked, so I asked Buggy to drive around the block and come around so I could see what was up. They were gone by the time we drove back but I'm definitely going to be keeping my "eye" on them.

And, to help me, Buggy gave me binoculars with a camera attached! I know, I know, I'm crazy but I just like to be on the safe side. And, I guess I'm a bit of a voyuer. Thank god Buggy already loves and agreed to marry me! Anyway, after a lovely dinner with his parents, we went back to their house to pick up some stuff and then drove to the Supersol by the Sheraton. It was the other supermarket we knew that was open at such a late hour and I stocked up!

We got:
soy yogurts (Buggy's), 5% cheese (Buggy's), Parmesan (me), goat cheese rounds (me), whole wheat pasta (me), regular pasta (Buggy), tomato sauce (me), marinara sauce (Buggy), 2 dozen eggs, tuna in olive oil (Buggy), tuna in water (me), edamame, kosher salt, soy sauce, balsamic vinegar, olive oil, light mayo (Buggy), regular mayo (me), bread, 3% cottage cheese (me), 5% yogurts (Buggy), pam spray, chocolate (Buggy), frozen cauliflower, frozen broccoli, lighbulb, lemon juice, tins, paper towel, toilet paper and little mini peaches.

Today, once Buggy gets back from his Dr.'s appointment, we're going to walk to Derech Beit Lechem and pick up some fruits and vegetables. I want to get cucumbers and tomatos for an Israeli salad, some garlic and cherries and maybe a nice mellon to have in the fridge. I would also love to pick up some frozen fish so I can make salmon and tuna for the week! We'll have to find another supermarket for that, I didn't like what I saw in the freezer section last night.

So, after the cable guys came bright and early this morning, and the electrician came back to fix some stuff, I sat down to cook breakfast. Poor Buggy, I called him once I heard from the cable guys and woke him out of a deep sleep and he raced over with his tefillin and toothbrush! He didn't even get washed up, he just jumped out of bed and got into his car and came right over. Is he great or what?

I decided to treat him and made him an omlet sandwhich for breakfast. After a relaxing time, with internet, phone, and TV now all B"H working, Buggy had to run out again to a meeting. And now, I have to go, because the cabinet guy is back to put up the new cabinet he shaved off to make room for my mamoth fridge!

Crave of the Day is a breakfast of french toast smothered in Aunt Jemima's syrup. When I'm exhausted, all I want is some breakfast comfort food. Chased with a big glass of hot chocolate, it's heaven!

No comments: