Sunday, July 01, 2007

Lychee and Labor



I've been neglectful of the blog, and for that dear readers, I do apologize. Its been quite a weekend and I've got loads to write, so settle back and maybe pop yourself some popcorn and enjoy!

Thursday, I spent the entire day curled up in the fetal position on Buggy's bed as he sat at his desk and worked. He ran out a few times to pick up a thermometer, some cold medicine, water and more tissues. I was so sick, I couldn't even watch the TV that he put on to keep me company. He was in and out, running to meet classmates to review joint projects or photocopying stuff for school, but he kept coming back to make sure I was ok. I think I got up a few times to go to the bathroom, but otherwise, I stayed in that position. We finally got back to his parent's apartment later at night and I went to bed and slept.

Friday, I woke up early when Buggy stopped by to tell me he was off to school for his final project presentation. I was feeling a lot better at that point, so I got up and got into the shower. By the time I was dressed and catching up on back e-mails, Buggy was back and we went off to town looking for some breakfast. I also had to stop by the bank and pick up some money and then run a few more errands. Buggy went to the photo copy store and, since my errands ended earlier than expected, I walked to meet him. Boy, the hills of Jerusalem are difficult! It made me miss the flatness of Tel Aviv - but the major walk on hills were to come much, much later in the weekend. After Buggy finished doing what he was doing, we went looking for a place for breakfast.

This GREAT new place opened up recently on King George called Beitzah Ayin House of Food. It's this egg restaurant and they can make eggs almost any way you want it. Buggy ordered a Toad in the Hole, which came with 5% cheeses (his request) a salad, some olives, butter and 2 types of jam for the extra bred. I got an omelet with mushrooms and onions and full fat sour cream and cheeses on the side. I obstained from any of the bread products and loved my salad. The only problem with this place is that it's too darn SMALL! They can barely fit the 6 tables they already have, although you can sit at the bar (but it's not very comfortable). Towards the end of breakfast, these 4 18 year olds walked in and ordered coffees and then stood right next to our table and waited to see if any of the other tables would clear. The problem now was that they kept elbowing me and shoving their bags in my face. I was patient until one of the girls stuck her elbow about 2 inches away from my nose. If she would have jerked suddenly, I would have been a candidate for a nose job. So, I politely asked her to please move away from the table. She glared at me and then one of her friends responded that they had no where else to stand and so that's why they were hovering. I responded that I understood their plight but they need to be aware of their apendages so that it's not in my face.

The group decided to pay and leave. Buggy told me that I obviously got my point across, but my tone could have been nicer. I didn't feel that ashamed, although we did leave the waitress a generous tip. And then, it was off to run our errands for the day. We ran to town to pick up a cake for his Mom for Shabbat (as a thank you for hosting me) and then went to the fruit store to get some fruit for afternoon snacking, and then it was our pre-wedding meeting and then back to his apartment to work.

The meeting with Buggy's Rabbi really, really drove the wedding home. OMG, I thought while sitting there and discussing the logistics of the ceremony, we're really getting married! And it's 50 days away! Wow! The meeting was a bit surreal, and I took copious notes so that I could amend the program I'd already began writing. After an hour, we were on our way to Buggy's apartment and I was a little spaced out from all of the directions. I hope I get everything right!

At his apartment, I polished off the watermellon fairly quickly, I felt that my body was just aching for some sugar, and then I started on these teeny, tiny peaches that I like to call "kvetched". Why? Because it looks like the Lord Himself came down from heaven and kvetched the peaches between his two gigantic fingers. They're also super sweet and juicy and have a teeny, tiny pit. At some point, Buggy turned around and asked me to pass him some more watermellon. I smiled and then told him that I ate it all. Hehehe, he had another kvetch.

We got back to his parents with a couple of hours to Shabbat and started getting ready. His parents had a guest, who was this 34 year old pregnant woman from England. And, Buggy's Mom and this guest spent the entire Shabbat talking about pregnancy and birth. Yeah, I didn't really need to listen to talks of episiotomies, labor, epidurals, breaking of "membranes" and the like. But, while the men were in shul, that's exactly what I listened to. And, this talk basically went on until Havdala.

Oy.

The highlight of Friday night dinner was my very first experience with a lychee that didn't come in a tropical drink. I asked Buggy what all these pink fruits were on the fruit platter and he told me that they were lychee. I was shocked as I just assumed lychee's were white. His parent's guest was very familiar with the fruit, and so she taught me how to peel the fruit and then warned me about the pit inside. I have to say, it was one of the most refreshing experiences! Eating the lychee's were just wonderfully thirst quenching and I couldn't wait until I got back to my apartment to buy a few for the week!

Shabbos afternoon, after a nice, relaxing lunch, Buggy and I decided to walk to our soon-to-be-apartment in Baka to time how far it would take to go to and from his folks apartment. It took up 1:15 to and from, and the walk there was absolutely wonderful. Granted, it was completely DOWNHILL. The walk back, however, was really, really hard. At one point, I thought Buggy was going to have to carry me up the steep, steep hill! But, we finally made it, and I was thrilled that I took a bottle of water with me along for the trek. We got back and I think I drank two liters of water on the spot. My face was so red, that I dipped my hand into the ice water that was pooling in the ice bucket (from lunch) and just tried to cool off. It didn't help that I was still congested, which made the hike up hill much harder. I'm hoping once I move to Jerusalem, and get used to the hills, it won't be as difficult.

We relaxed for the rest of the afternoon, had some Shalosh Seudot, and then made Havdala and raced out of the aparment. I told Buggy that I MUST spent the evening doing work, and the plan was to go to his apartment and just lock ourselves in for a few hours. Buggy had to be in bed at a decent hour because he had another final project due on Sunday morning. I have to still hand in two more papers and the last class is this Wednesday!

Sadly, his Father called to tell us that his Great Uncle passed away on Shabbos and that the funeral was 11:00 p.m. in Sandhedria. No matter what happens while we live, B"H, here in Israel, I will never get used to a burial without a coffin. It is very difficult for me to watch, and I had a very good view of the burial. After they put the body into the ground, they covered it up with heavy slabs of stone. I asked Buggy why they were doing this, and he said that it's in lieu of a coffin. Once the stones are completely covering the body, then the men finished up by shoveling dirt on top. It was very sad and, even sadder for Buggy's Grandfather, who is now the only surviving child of his parents. We joined Buggy's Grandparents at their home and covered the mirrors and prepared for the week of Shiva. I will probably go back to Jerusalem next Thursday to pay a Shiva call.

We didn't get back to his parents until late and, since Buggy had another final presentation this morning, we went to bed quickly. Buggy woke up nice and early, ran to his Grandfather's apartment for minyan, and then straight to school for the presentation. Somehow, I managed to sleep until 11:00 but not without an awful and terrifying wedding dream. This is my second wedding nightmare that involved me gown (this time, I was somehow given someone else's gown and there were 10 minutes before the wedding began and I had nothing but an oversized, shapeless, blue strapless lace ugly dress to wear in its stead). I'm not sure what my sub conscious is trying to tell me, but Rochel Leah over at Kleinfeld's is getting a call from me tomorrow to find out what's the story with my dress.

After I got up, showered, stripped the bed and packed, I went downstairs to wait for Buggy. Right when I got downstairs, Buggy got home and we sat at my computer for a bit to do some work. I wrote the fax for the army and then we sent it over, and I also printed out the agreement with my movers. We are using Eliezer Movers from Jeruaslem and they are costing me an arm and a leg. I really, really hope they are 100% worth the money! Anyway, afterwards, we had a few minutes to relax and so we ate some lunch and then headed out to pick up Buggy's niece and nephew. We decided to take them to see Shrek 3 as a treat, and boy was it a fun afternoon!

We went to the mall and bought tickets, and then went to the food court to get everyone slushies! (Passion fruit, lemongrass and 2 grape). I still get a little thrill when we walk into the food court and I realize that we can eat EVERYTHING that's there! Good thing Buggy plans on keeping us far, far away since my waistband couldn't afford for me to eat at the food court. Then, we were off to the movies where our shoes stuck to the floor and our seats were full of filty and grime. The kids couldn't care less and they really, really enjoyed the movie. During intermission, I bought them a box of popcorn and then we watched the end of the show. Afterwards, we reazlied that Buggy's nephew lost hist kippa and they started looking on the floor. I told Buggy that there was no way I was going to let his nephew put a kippa that was on THAT floor back on his head, and so we were off to the center of the mall to buy him a new one. He picked one out that "was just like his Abba's" and then we went to the eye glass store so I could get started on my driver's license.

I took the absolute WORST DRIVER'S LICENSE PHOTO IN HISTORY and then waited for my eye exam. After the exam, I paid 40 shekel and took my piece of paper and was off to buy the kids some giant helium balloons. We left them off at the apartment happy and excited, with presents and treats! I was really happy that we were able to spend time with the kids and then Buggy and I went back to his parents. He had only a few minutes before he had to go to his Grandfather's for Mincha/Maariv Minyan and I just relaxed and caught up on e-mails and spoke to the folks back in the States.

Yuda came and picked me up, which was great, and took me back to Tel Aviv with all of my stuff. I immediately went out to AM PM to pick up some protein and decided that tomorrow and Tuesday I am going to be in the apartment all day working on my two stories. I really, really hope to finish them both before Wednesday's classes. I would love to hand in my story to Professor Kramer, but I think that I'm being a little too optomistic. Either way, I need to get everything done until the big move!

OMG - 2 more weeks left in Tel Aviv! Wow, I can't believe this is really, really happening.

Pinch me.

There is no Crave of the Day because I indulged myself and ate what I wanted to all weekend. Tomorrow it's back on the diet and back on craving some stuff that's not good for me. Oh well, Tuesday is a fast day, I might as well store some fat up for then.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Cool blog...

My husband and I love lychees too, and we have them for dessert every Shabbos during the summer. I recently discovered there's also a lychee liquor called Lichido. Any idea if it's kosher or not?