Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Don't Leave Home Without It



I'm about 15 seconds away from shedding my clothes for some sweats and crawling into bed. I don't know what I've got, but by tomorrow I know it won't be pretty. I've got the muscle aching, nauseous, swollen glanse (sp?), stomach pains and exhaustion feeling and heck if I know where it came from. I felt shades of it yesterday after class when I was doubled over in pain and had to share a cab back to Tel Aviv. I consulted with The Dude, who is the maven when it comes to certain stomach issues, and a couple of pills later I was ready to go out. The pills, sadly, wore off today around 1:45 p.m. as I waited another 45 minutes for the bus to come to take me back to Tel Aviv (I literally missed the bus by 3 seconds). I managed to make it home and cook myself dinner before curling up on the bed.

Thanksgiving, for some reason, is just not my holiday. Last year, at this time, I was in the midst of recupperating from a spinal tap AND a terrible spinal headache (which, sadly, developed and had me flat on my back for more than 48 hours). This year, I'm just hoping that I'm run down and will wake up tomorrow feeling refreshed. Vera is coming to clean the apartment tonight and I know that seeing a sparkling bathroom and clean floors will make me feel good too. That and I have the wedding in Bnei Brak tomorrow night and I am going even if I'm running a fever!

This morning, Jeff called me from the airport because he couldn't find his credit card. He thought he left it at the new AM PM supermarket off of Gordon and asked me if I could run over and see if it was there. So, I strapped on my sneaks and raced over to the supermarket and asked them for his credit card. They had a treasure trove of lost credit cards at that store! When they asked me for his Teudat Zehut number though, I was at a loss. I called Jeff back at the airport, where he was in the midst of boarding the plane. Turns out, they didn't have it. I'm not sure if he cancelled the card in the end, but I wished him safe travels and ran back to my apartment so I could get to the bus stop in time for school.

Class today was very interesting. We started the review of the introduction to Rav Saadia Gaon's book and then Professor Harvey assigned the reading of the introduction to Rambam's Guide to the Perplexed. I'm really looking forward to that!

So, it's almost official that I booked my trip back to the States. I will be home for 5 weeks and am already starting to make appointments. First, all the of the Dr.'s needed to be scheduled and so I'm set with Dr. Swerdlow and Dr. Klapper. I'm waiting for Dr. Marin's office to get back to me and I'm thinking I might also schedule a teeth cleaning with Dr. Levinson as well. Next, it's on to haircut and highlight appointments with Rob at John Dellaria, facial and waxing with Josine at Scott J. Avena Salon, makeover at Mac (hopefully I'll be able to get some Spring makeup when I'm in town). And that leaves the fun appointments left to make! I've got a sleepover planned in Park Slope with Jules, a weekend at Marns on the Upper West, some time with the sisters in Maryland, and loads of movies to catch up on with Cousin Neil. Speaking of which, I need to give Aunt Amy and Cousin Neil a call on Thanksgiving. Growing up, I always spent Thanksgiving at Aunt Amy's with Cousin's Neil and Larry. I remember eating loads of turkey and watching a double feature of King Kong and Godzilla on Channel 9 with the boys. They always had the best reading material too, I loved their comic books! Hmmm, anyone else remember watching the Blob and the football game?

I was invited to Ari's for Thanksgiving dinner tomorrow night and, since I'm going to be at the wedding, am not sure I'll be able to make it in time. I did make a good shidduch though as Ann the Opera singer is going to be going to Ari's for dinner at well. That made me feel good, it would have been terrible to think that she would be spending Thanksgiving alone in a strange country (where she doesn't know the language). Since Ari's friends are serious characters, I know she'll going to have a great time.

Time for me to crawl into bed. Happy Thanksgiving and safe travels to ALL who will be heading to family in the States this year. Song of the day is Holiday by Weezer. Y'all know how much I live Rivers Cuomo!

No comments: