Thursday, November 30, 2006

Back in Business!

I'm too tired to go scrounging around the web for a blog appropriate pic, so you'll have to just do with the words.

So much has been going on and I am dog tired people. Like, feel it in my bones exhausted. The trek to and from school really takes a lot out of me. It's rough but my classes are worth it. I'm really enjoying school, especially the Jewish philosophy class.

On Wednesday, I didn't let Professor Harvey gloss over the comment Rav Saadia Gaon made about women not having apptitude for speculation. He evaded the topic for a while, going off topic to discuss a different negative view about a minority, before mapping back to women. His comment was that essentially, because women weren't educated therefore they couldn't understand these books. So, I asked a follow up question. If would seem to me that, since these great Rabbi's were tackling such topics to help explain what's going on in the world and to make sure that people didn't stray from Judaism, that they would want to educate women (especially given the woman's role in child rearing). Professor Harvey said it was a good question but one he would like to tackle later on in the course.

A couple of girls from the class came over to me afterwards to thank me for my question. Tamara thought it was great that I had "admirers". I told her that I have no interest in being the Rosie the Riveter icon for women issues but I would really like to understand why the Bais Yaacov movement took such a long time to be established. Seriously, why weren't women's education a priority during Medieval times?

The Opera last night was simply amazing! We sat front row, center, and right behind the conductor. He sweated so much during the performance, I was worried I might need a towel but fortunately, it just ran down his face and didn't hit anyone sitting behind him. The costumes were incredible and talk about voices! Ann McMahon Quintero was brilliant in her role, and her costume was really elaborate! We went backstage after the performance to pick Ann up and drive her home, and of course to get my autograph! I picked up the Armide playbill (what do you call it for the opera?) and asked Ann for her autograph. Ebay folks, I will one day sell it on Ebay and it will be worth a lot of money!

Today was really, really busy! I had to do laundry and so that took a nice chunk out of my morning. While I was loading up the wash, in walked the conductor from the Opera! I almost didn't recognize him and then, when I wanted to thank him for a brilliant evening, I got the hiccups so I couldn't speak. Oh well, guess it wasn't meant to be! I came back and folded everything and put it away before meeting Lana for lunch. After lunch, I ran some errands. I'm going to be in Jerusalem for the weekend and am helping cook for my meal on Shabbos day, so I had to run around and buy some ingredients. It was back to my apartment to cook and wait for the cable guy to come and fix my modem.

I'm BACK online folks! That's right, my VOIP is working once again! Woohoo, call away people! I'm actually in the middle of wrapping up a project for a client, but then I'll be around to chat. Don't call too late though, I have an even busier day tomorrow and I want to get some sleep.

Time to get back to work! Song of the day is The Show Must Go On by Queen. Not sure why, just in the mood for some Freddy Mercury.

No comments: