Monday, December 04, 2006

Double O's



So much has happened since Thursday, and I feel just terrible about not blogging sooner! I'm going to try to do this blog justice for having neglected writing for three days, but forgive me if I don't write it all down.

First of all, thank g-d I got a new modem because its been a very phone heavy weekend! My VOIP was waiting for me as soon as my cable company fixed my problem. It was great knowing that my Ceasar at US Voicelink would be there to help me if I needed it. Fortunately, it was working as soon as my new modem booted up!

Friday was very hectic, getting ready for Shabbos and getting to Jerusalem before sundown. Since Shabbos comes in so early, I had to leave Tel Aviv by 1:00! Since I cooked for the meal on Shabbos day (which I'll get to in a second), I ended up spending 270 shekel and taking a cab door-to-door. It was worth it, there was no way I could have taken all my stuff on the bus. It was great to be back in Jerusalem for another weekend, I haven't spend Shabbos there since my parents visited back in October. The weather was beautiful but very cold, made me wish I had my winter coat, although I did layer up nicely underneath my leather jacket.

Shabbos lunch was my very first singles meal in Katamon. Basically, it was pretty much like my singles meals here in Tel Aviv although the conversation was much, much tamer. I made a taco salad, cauliflower kugel, orzo with grilled vegetables and pine nuts and Shulamit's blondies for dessert. We were 6 all together and there was plenty of food. Since Shabbos also ends so early, it didn't make sense to nap Shabbos day, so I ended up on a walking tour of the neighborhood. Ya gotta love the hills of Jerusalem, I definitely burnt off my lunch!

Saturday night we hung out in Jerusalem, grabbed a quick dinner of soup in Baka, and then went to see the new Bond flick. We had purchased our tickets in advance on Friday, and so we went to the theatre a few minutes early and waited online. I should correct myself though since it wasn't a line but rather a horde of pushy people waiting for the doors to open. Here's what I don't understand. We all had tickets and, in Israel, each ticket comes with an assigned seat. So, it wasn't like we needed to push in order to be first into the theatre to claim good seats because we all already had seats. At one point, this guy behind really started shoveing. So, I turned around and gave him my famous you have got to be kidding me with the pushing stare. He started talking to me in Hebrew and, rather than try to concentrate on what he was saying, I responded in English with: I have absolutely no idea what you just said to me. The 20something kid switched to perfect English and said that the reason he was pushing is because he had already been in the theatre and wanted to get back in, as opposed to having to wait in line like all of us new moviegoers. So, I told him that a polite "excuse me" would have been just as effective as the shove. At which point, they opened the door and the herde stampeded. Thankfully, I managed to get through at the front of the pack and sidestep the crowd so I wouldn't get bowled over.

Sadly, the movie was pretty disappointing. Eventhough Cousin Neil loved the film and tried to defend it last night, partly because he thought the female lead (aka the latest Bond girl) was extremely hot, I still wasn't swayed. Who the heck wrote that dialogue? The conversations between falling-in-love Bond and the heroine-who-turned-out-to-be-villian Bond girl was terribly cliched. I groaned a couple of times when Bond said lines you wouldn't feed to a love struck monkey. Speaking of monkeys, the first full on action scene had the bad guy chased buy Bond moving with ape-like precision. What happened to attempts at reality?

Yesterday I basically took it easy as I'm coming down with a cold. Since I have a ton of homework to do for tomorrow and Wednesday, I took the opportunity to be productive. That is, until it was early enough in the States to start making my calls. Unfortunately, I ended up calling some people too early (sorry Marns!!!) but most of the folks I chatted with were happy I just didn't call during the foodball game.

It's already 4:00 p.m. and I had a great Nyquill induced sleep (thank you again Hannah for the cherry elixor!). Since I have a short story exercise due for class tomorrow, I spent majority of the morning writing. I have to leave here in a couple of hours to make my way to Modiin for my first Dr.'s appointment in country. The eye Dr. I'm going to comes highly recommended, and he is a native English speaker which makes things a bit more comforting for me. I also went fruit and vegetable shopping because, once again, my fridge is bare. The melons I picked were really sweet and, as I made a big bowl of fruit salad for the week, I patted myself on the back for successfully using my Dad's method for picking good fruit (thanks Dad!!).

I'm off to read the introduction to The Guide to the Perplexed. I hope everyone whose at work is having a good Monday! Song of the day is Keep Holding On by Avril Lavigne from the Eragon soundtrack. I never purchased an Avril Lavigne song, but this is a pretty good tune from pop-rock princess.

No comments: