Sunday, December 24, 2006

Tiptoeing Through Tulips



Check out the gorgeous tulips my Shabbat guest brought me on Friday afternoon! Actually, they were ordered and sent to me, but who needs to argue semantics? The tulips are simply amazing and, given the fact that tulips are a spring flower, I was shocked to see them in December! They've opened up really nicely and have given off this wonderful scent that has permeated every single corner of my apartment.

Today was supposed to be my productive day. I had a very nice, relaxing Shabbat, so I was supposed to be all geared up and ready to do some writing. The morning started strong, I woke up early and got out of bed before my alarm even went off. Just when I was getting ready to leave the apartment and run some errands, however, my phone rang and it was The Dude. Since it was only 1:30 a.m. in the States, he was up and ready to do some chatting, so I ended up 30 minutes behind schedule. After I ran my errands, I got back home and made a quick breakfast.

I sat down at my computer and the concept I had been thinking about writing for the past few weeks completely left me. I don't know why but I just wasn't in the mood to write it anymore. I was bored with the storyline and so I sat down and just started writing this completely new story. I got through the first two pages really quickly and then started struggling with the third page. The page was pretty much action/dialogue and I get exhausted after a few lines of dialogue. My brain started turning into mush so I decided to help it along and watched an entire Ugly Betty marathon! I kid you not - from Pilot through episode #8 - I sat here for almost 6 hours! My tush was sore by the time I was over and now I'm too dazed from watching TV to do any writing. Tomorrow I will have no choice but to finish the rest of the story. Chances are, this piece is going to be significantly shorter than my other story. In fact, I would be thrilled if I'm able to crank out 10 pages!

So, I just heard that they are forecasting snow in Jerusalem for Tuesday night into Wednesday! I'm super excited about that, especially since snow paralyzes everything in The Holy City! Both of my professors on Wednesday come from Jerusalem to Ramat Gan for class, so if they can't get out of Jerusalem we probably won't have any class. Either way, I think I'm going to go to Jerusalem for the evening. I've never seen snow in Jerusalem before and I bet it's pretty magical! Of course, that means my school bag on Tuesday is going to be really, really heavy. Again, I'm hoping it will all be worthwhile!

I just burnt the CD for Bret and hope that he is enjoying Xmas eve here in Israel. I wonder what he's going to be doing tonight and tomorrow and look forward to hearing all about it during class on Wednesday.

Well, it's almost 11:00 and I'm wiped from not doing much today. I have to give Shulamit a quick call back and then I'm washing up and heading to bed.

Literature of the day is Eli, the Fanatic, a wonderful short story by Phillip Roth. If you've read The Human Stain, I highly recommend reading this short story as it's representative of some of his earlier writing.

Good night and Happy Holidays to all of my friends celebration with their families this weekend!

No comments: