Thursday, December 28, 2006

Blackout of 2006






OK, so it's nothing like the Blackout of 2003 in Manhattan, but I'm in the midst of my own little blackout right now. Itai taught me how to use my heater tonight since, it's the coldest night of the year thusfar. How cold is it in Israel? Cold enough that it snowed today in Jerusalem and hailed while I was in class at Bar Ilan. I walked around all day in wet socks and shoes so, when I got home, I needed some heat.

Unfortunately, around 11:30 this evening, Itai and I were running two heaters and two dud shemeshes (which use up a lot of electricity). He also had the TV going while I was using my computer and we had tons of lights on in the apartment. I didn't panic when the lights went out, but that was because I thought they would come back on pretty quickly.

Yeah, no such luck. We're going to be in the dark all night and man am I annoyed cause I just bought myself a brand new milk and will probably have to toss the contents of my fridge in the a.m. Good thing I didn't go food shopping yet for the big meal I'm making on Friday night (yup, we're up to 9, another biggie for sure).

I'd like to take a moment to thank my Dad for teaching me to always be prepared. Because of him, I brought a big flashlight with me to this country and that was a good thing cause otherwise I would have been going to the bathroom and washing my face in the dark.

I'd also like to take moment to thank Buggy in Jerusalem for lending me a ski jacket until I go home and get my own winter coat, and buying me a candle for the second night of Chanukah. Who knew that I would need a candle so soon!

The photos were taken today from Buggy's apartment in Katamon. The first is from this afternoon as the snow began to fall and the second was taken this evening of the snow acculmulation on the cars.

If you want to get in touch with me, call my cell phone as my VOIP is out due to the fact that I have no electricity for cable. Otherwise, I LOVE my VOIP because I've been chattering away with the States ever since the Holidays started.

Cousin Neil, I'll try calling you as soon as my VOIP is up and running again.

I'm off to find another blanket to try and stay warm tonight, again, the coldest night of the year here in Tel Aviv! And to all a good night!

No comments: