Thursday, December 14, 2006

That 70's Show



I just got back from an hour+ walk on the boardwalk at sunset. It was gorgeous and the weather today was really fantastic. I can't believe it's the middle of December! With blue skies and cool breezes, you'd think it were Spring here in Tel Aviv. I hope the rain holds off until I'm back in the States. I'd take a snowy day in Manhattan over the deluge of Tel Aviv. The walk was exactly what I needed tonight and I got back to my apartment pretty drenched. Good thing I have plenty of hot water for the shower.

So, a lot has happened this week and I've been neglecting my blog. I wish I had the excuse that I've been writing instead, but with two short stories due within two weeks of each other, I'm pretty much up a creek without a paddle. I've been toying with this one idea for my short story to be workshopped but haven't gotten anything down on paper. I won't panic until next week.

Michael Kramer is back from the States and so it was full speed ahead in the two classes he teaches. I've been feeling intellectually sluggish so I'm really thrilled that he's back. We've been having some interesting conversations this week, and the reading material is really fascinating. I've never studied American Jewish Literature and it is going to be great to really get to know these writers.

As usual, Philosophy class was great. I think I need to e-mail Professor Harvey so he gets a better understanding of my questions. This week, we wrapped up the introduction to Rambam's Guide to the Perplexed. Basically, besides telling the world that he is writing this book for like 1 in a million who would have the capacity to understand what he's writing, he insisted that someone who is confident with their religious beliefs and is about to study science (Aristotilian) and is perplexed should turn to his book. Hmmm, so how come they don't teach this in Yeshivot? Why is it that I've learnt about evolution and the Big Bang theory but no one ever though to explain Creation from a philosophical perspective? Are they afraid that people would become unbelievers? Maybe Yeshiva's should give their students a bit more credit.

Today was a nice and relaxing day, which is good since I've got a lot on my mind. I shlept my big bag of laundry to the nicer laundromat and washed two weeks worth of clothing. My jeans came out smelling really nice, but I know I shrunk them so it will be a pain getting into them tomorrow. Speaking of which, tomorrow is the first night of Chanukah! I can't believe Chanukah is here already! It feels like just yesterday we were celebrating Succot in Jerusalem. Time is really flying for me this year. I'll be in Jerusalem for the weekend, so that should be really nice.

I called Jon a few days ago to ask him about these two websites where you can watch American TV that's streamed instead of downloaded. It was great that he gave up the goods because I've been overdosing on TV these past few days. These sites have the entire series of That 70's Show, which is one of my all time favorite shows! As a comedy, it's just classic, and I can't get enough of the character of Hyde. He's my version of the Fonz.

There should be a law in Israel that construction in residential neighborhoods cannot start before 9:00 a.m. When I lived on 74th Street and Columbus, and they decided to convert a Senor Swanky's (the Celebrity Hangout) to a Beau Brummels, the drilling began at exactly 8:00 a.m. I know, because they drilled right below my bedroom window and, for three months straight, I was up at 8! I know, most people are up at that time during the week, but when you work from home and make your own hours, 8 is a bit early. So, they are doing construction in the apartment directly across from my bedroom. The drilling and hammering start at 7:00 a.m.! What's worse is that it appears the drilling and hammering is over, each and every day, by 9:00 a.m. So, I've been getting up super early these days which means that by 5:00 p.m., I'm on my face with exhaustion!

Chances are, I won't have time to blog tomorrow before Shabbos. Here's wishing each and every one of you a Shabbat Shalom and a Chag Sameach!

Song of the day is Jewish Girls (At the Matzo Ball) by The Leevees off of the Hannukah Rocks CD. A must have for every Jewish collection!

No comments: