Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Class Cancelled!



I'm having a very Dazed and Confused morning. I should probably start with last night to put everyone into the right frame for this morning. So, I took a cab from Tel Aviv to Modiin for my eye Dr.'s appointment. My cab driver waited downstairs to take me back because I knew that I was going to have my eyes dialated last night, and I have to say it was the smartest thing I ever did. First of all, Dr. Fischer was really terrific. I showed up wearing my Einstein sweatshirt and he was very excited to see the emblem. He is an alum of the medical school, which immediately put me at ease. I'm a big fan of Einstein trained physicians. Nevertheless, he did a really thorough eye exam and gave me the good news I was looking to hear! That being said, the dialation was pretty brutal and I forgot to bring my sunglasses.

My pupils get so enlarged, that all you can see is a sliver of army green rims around large pools of blackness. The problem was when I tried to get out of the building. Since I had the last appointment, they actually locked the front door and I couldn't find anyone to guide me out. Finally, I went into a random office and this woman led me out of the building through the side entrance (and through a couple of darkened rooms). Of course, once outside, I literally stumbled to the car since there were no lights to lead me around the side of the building. Next time, I make the appointment during the day!

By the time I got to bed at 1:30 a.m., my pupils were barely shrunken, so I just went to bed and hoped all would be back to normal this morning. Well, my eyes were fine, but severly bloodshot. Hence, the Dazed and Confused morning. Anyway, I had so much on my schedule for this morning that I didn't get my usual 45 minute snooze in. I jumped out of bed and set up my computer to immediately start working on editing a story for one of my classmates. I logged into my e-mail though to see if anyone from home sent me a note, and that's when I saw that class today was cancelled. Sadly, Bret threw out his back in Turkey last week and he's laid up in bed in Jerusalem and couldn't make it to school. That means I have to put off camping in front of his office for another week. I was also pretty bummed because I did all my homework for class today, and was really looking forward to workshopping the stories.

The upside was that I didn't get out of my PJ's until 11:30 when I met Tamar from class for coffee. We actually both don't drink coffee and she ordered me this interesting drink that had the consistency of oatmeal. I don't remember the name of the drink though, I have to ask her tomorrow in class, but everyone who knows me and knows I can't stand oatmeal won't be surprised that I barely drank my drink. I came home instead and made myself some tea :)

Yesterday was another busy phone day. I got to catch up with The Dude, who made a request that I stop referencing him on the blog since he doesn't read it and gets weirded out when other people talk to him about things I'm writing (about him). So, from here on out, I'm going to limit all of my Dude writing. That, or he'll just have to start reading the blog! I also got to speak to both of my nieces this week and they are soo cute! One niece has discovered money and kept asking my sister for more cash, while my other niece sang me the A,B,C's, Twinkle, Twinkle and then spent the rest of the time just heavy breathing on the phone. It was really cute, she was really listening to me when I was talking to her! I hope that she'll at least recognize my voice when I finally see her in a few weeks!

So, I think there is a stray dog that hangs out in front of my building because I keep seeing him when I'm coming and going. The dog is very sweet and comes up to me and I want to do something because I think he's hungry. The problem is that I'm not sure what to feed a hungry dog. For some reason, I just don't think the dog is going to want fruit salad or pita. Should I go out and buy a bag of dog food for the next time I see him? I think I might try to find an ASPCA type of organization here in Israel that will take care of the dog, or at least put him in a kennel so that he can be adopted. I have to do some research cause I'm not calling a pound type of place that would put the dog to sleep, he's really sweet!

Anyway, I have to go get ready for tonight. I'm heading back to Jerusalem for dinner and am aiming to get the 3:00 p.m. bus out of Tel Aviv.

Song of the day is Molly's Chambers by Kings of Leon, a great group of Southern brothers (with one cousin) who really know how to rock! I highly recommend their Sophomore album.

No comments: