Thursday, December 07, 2006

Holiday Parties!!



Tis the season for loads of holiday parties. Last night, I got my first Hannuka party invitation - the annual soiree at the Key West. Hannah, Fruma and Carrie will be hosting this year and, if memory serves, it is the most happening event of the season! For some reason, I don't remember if I was at the party last year but the year before I remember playing games with my friends and then the fun grab bag. I think Cousin Neil gave away the He's Just Not That Into You book and he got a pocket pool table set that is still sitting on the coffee table in the boyz James Tower apartment. You can't miss it, it's next to Ari's copies of Men's Health and surrounded by week old issues of The Jewish Week. The monkey, I'll hazzard a guess, is still perched on the sofa. Man, I miss that cute little monkey!

I also got a couple of Holiday party invitations and, this year, will miss my annual get together with Jenny and Jules. Last year, we had an absolute blast! First, I met Jenny and Jules at Artisanal where they ate up a storm and I sipped an alcoholic beverage. We were next to this really nice couple, until they started talking to us about their affair. I am not kidding. She was his secretary and had a wife and children back in Astoria. They were having a quick dinner before heading to the hotel for a romp. Talk about cliche! We weren't that shocked that it was happening, just shocked that they were being so open about it. I don't think the two bottles of wine helped them either. Then, we went to the Gramercy Park Hotel (before they closed and started tearing it down for renovation) for a drink at their lounge. That's where we exchanged our presents and Jenny gave us all boxes of homemade chocolates and cookies. She also made us all holiday mixes, which were great! I made Jules and Jenny mixes too and don't remember what present I gave them, but I know we all had a great time. I got home really late and ended up leaving my chocolates and cookies for Antonio (my doorman) even though they looked very tasty!

So, I've been having really weird dreams lately. Last night, I dreamt that I was back at Camp Moshava and we were getting ready for a weekend Shabbaton at some hotel. I went to ask Lana if she would room with me (note to folks who don't know Lana, but she is one of my friends here in Tel Aviv) and she told me that she was rooming with Susie (another girl from Tel Aviv). When I asked if the three of us could just share a room, Lana basically said no, and so I was left to pack up without anywhere to go. Talk about high school insecurities rearing its ugly head! At this point, I would just take a room by myself (which I would prefer actually) and be done with it. I think Freud and Jung would have absolute field days with my dreams!

I got a call from a few of my Tel Aviv friends who were complaining that I haven't been around enough lately. So, I promised that I would hang out with them tonight. I'm not sure yet what we're doing, but I really hope it's tame cause I just don't have the strength for a raucous night out on the town. There is a girl who is having a party to celebrate lasting the first year into her Aliyah, so we're going to stop by the house to wish her a Mazal Tov and then see where the night takes us. Meanwhile, I was hoping to get through some more Philosophy reading and workshop stories for next week.

Oh - I was soo excited this morning! Tamara had e-mailed Professor Harvey yesterday to ask a question and explain why she wasn't going to make it to class, and when Professor Harvey responded to her question he mentioned my name! YEA! He knows who I am! That is a good thing, or at least I hope it's a good thing. Hmmm, I hope he likes my questions and doesn't find them annoying. Maybe I'll have a chat with him after class next week!

I'm off to get a haircut. My hair has gotten way too long and I need a trim ASAP. I've been doing a lot of Weezer listening lately so, the song of the day is Holiday off of the Blue Album. I highly recommend both the Blue and Green albums; must haves for any growing collection!

No comments: