Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Murphy Strikes



Ah, good ol' Murphy, always striking when you really don't want 'em to. After a pretty emotional day yesterday, between my short story getting workshopped in class and my visit to the Kotel last night, I really needed to phone home last night Guess what? VOIP is not working! If I had to hazzard a guess, I think that my "wonderful" cable company changed around some of my settings and so now I have to call them and figure out what's going on. My internet though, is working quite nicely, so at least I can e-mail the friends and family at home.

And, since we're dealing with Murphy's power today, guess who has to call TWO potential new clients back? Yeah, I got two great referrals and of course now that I'm all ready to get started on the accounts, the phone ain't working! Pretty big problem I've got on my hands and yet, I'm handling this really well. Hmmm, must mean I'm growing up :)

So, class yesterday didn't go very well. One of the women in my group, who was also getting workshopped yesterday, decided to preface the critiques with a plea for people to be brutally honest with her story. She felt that the more blunt people are, the better it would be for her. Personally, I thought it was extremely inappropriate of her to make that comment before my short story was workshopped. If she was a little bit more tactful, and less selfish, she would have waited until it was her turn before making the request. That being said, I don't think people responded any differently to my story because of her comment. In fact, on the whole, it was exactly what I had expected. So, I wasn't surprised at all.

What I was surprised about was Bret's comments. He told me that I was "ambitious" with the story. Now, usually, that wouldn't get me thinking much. However, my summer session professor said the absolute same thing on my summer short story. So now, I need some answers.

What the heck does it mean that I'm an ambitious writer? Is that their way of saying that I write over my capabilities? Perhaps they're telling me that I don't have the talent to write the way I'm aspiring to write? I have no idea, but I do plan on being parked outside Bret's office when he returns from Turkey next week, so I can understand better what the professors are telling me.

I'm excited about the rewrite though, I have some good ideas and some of the feedback was really productive, so I hope to whip this story into great shape. I want to send this out in time for September journals next year. If that's too ambitious then too bad, at least I'm driven!

Speaking of selfish, I felt really selfish at the Kotel last night. And, not because I was hogging an area of the wall or anything because at 10:30 p.m. the Kotel isn't as packed as it usually is. I felt selfish because here I was again, asking the Almighty for yet another big request. Usually, that wouldn't bother me. But, since I asked for something really big a few weeks ago, and it looks like I might actually get what I prayed for, I feel bad asking for something else! Oh well, my parents always taught me, it never hurts to ask.

And so I did.

Tonight is the big night at the Opera and I'm sooo excited!! I already know what I'm wearing and all I have to do when I get back from school is get dressed and head out. I will hopefully blog with Opera photos tomorrow!

Song of the day is Dreaming of You by The Coral.

No comments: