Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Acid House Kings



I'm going to share a little secret today. There is an incredible website called Insound where I go to get MP3's of new music. Each month, the folks over at insound scour the planet looking for great new indie tunes and then upload free MP3's so I can sample the music before buying. I've worked with a couple of the folks over at insound and, based on our exchanges, agree in most of their selections. Last night, after I updated my second short story, I hit the site and downloaded a couple of new tunes. Some were hits, others were definitely misses. But, I've discovered a great new band called the Acid House Kings, a Swedish group whose sound is like the Smiths meet Belle and Sebastian. Other great new groups include The Decemberists and Wolf Parade.

I've been having a leisurely morning. I had to wait for the Yes man to come and pick up my boxes. He tried to convince me to stay with Yes, but I just wanted him and the boxes out of the apartment. He was a little creepy. He tried to talk me into keeping their service, and was a bit menacing at one point, but I politely and firmly said no and then showed him the door. I think the next time I need to deal with a serviceman, I'm going to schedule the appointment when Itai is home. For comfort reasons, I think it's best.

After I finish updating this blog, I have to go out and do my laundry. I feel like I'm constantly doing laundry here, it's crazy! I also have to put in some stuff at the cleaners so I have clothing to wear over Yom Tov. Tova just called to tell me that Noam's brother and sister in law are coming for Yom Tov, so the house is going to be teeming with folks! Good thing the men sleep in the succah, at least I still have a bed! I'm looking forward, it should be very lively!

I spent a few hours on the phone with the Ein Gedi tourism department, trying to prepare for our trip in a few days. I really can't wait until Fruma, Hannah and Liora get here! It's going to be a lot of fun and hopefully will be nice and relaxing. So, we're going to Ein Gedi for a few days after Succot, and I'm trying to hook us up on a jeep tour in the Judean desert. It will cost each of us 200 shekel, which is $50 for a 4 hour trip. Not bad. Right now they have the space for the trip, so I just need to consult with the crew and get back to them with reservations. Sadly, the moonlit Safari excursion is out of the question. Apparently, the full moon is the week before, and Hannah and Liora will still be in the States. Oh well, maybe on their next trip East.

Tomorrow is still up in the air, which is funny. Basically, I wasn't accepted into my program yet by the Masters department. And, until that happens, I can't register. What's so funny is that I already PAID for the program. Now, I'm only taking 3 classes next year, 2 of which I am automatically in since it's only available to people in my program. However, the third class I am hoping to take is one of my Limudei Yisod requirements and I have to e-mail the professor for permission. If for some reason I don't get permission, well, then I'm not really sure what I'll be doing. Professor Kramer, who is the acting chair of the program, is giving another literature course on Wednesday so I can always take that class and just deal with my requirements next year. Gotta love Bar Ilan folks, never a dull moment.

OK, I'm off to do the laundry.

Song of the day is Do What You Wanna Do by the Acid House Kings. Definitely a must listen to tune! Go download it for free off of insound!

No comments: