Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Sunsets and the party's over



It's 1:30 a.m. and I just got off the phone with Cousin Neil, who is still in the office! Spitz is working him hard these days! Regardless, I had to catch him up on the past couple of days and to let him know that the trinket from Amuka is on the way with my folks.

Tonight was a little sad for me. My parents took Gayle, Oren, Jeff and I out to a nice dinner at Pacifica, a great restaurant in the Crowne Plaza Hotel on Hayarkon in Tel Aviv. The sushi was actually pretty amazing but I had to bring majority of my main home with me. I wasn't really hungry at that point as sushi fills me up.

So, before I continue, there is going to be a shift in the blogging activities. I am going to ween away from just regurgitating what I've done each day and focus on writing more interesting topics. Before Ari headed out to the States, he mentioned how boring he felt blogs were (in general). And, since I don't really want to ever be called boring, am going to try to keep my writing interesting.

With that said, let me tell you how it was raining men today in Ramat Gan!

Officially, Univerisites in Israel opened yesterday and today was my first day of Fall classes. I felt like a kid in a candy store full of eye candy for me! It was almost overwhelming the number of people in school and the campus was just charged with great energy. I was so fired up from the teeming people that I walked from Namir and Arlozorov back to my apartment in record time (25 minutes!).

Tonight, a couple of interesting things happened:

1) After saying goodbye to my parents, we headed over to this new bar on Dizengoff Street and met Lana. The doorman didn't want me in because of the doggy bag I had with me. Listen folks, if my parents are buying me a $20 lamb kabob that I didn't eat, I'm certainly going to take it home with me! I'm a part-time student on a budget! Anyway, the manager comes out to see what the problem is and I had a choice. I could have let Oren, in his perfect Hebrew, explain the situation or I could just work my magic like I would at any bar/club/restaurant in the States. I decided to work my magic, and let's just say I'm proud at how charming I was. Within minutes, my lamb kabobs and I were sitting at a table by the window enjoying the atmosphere.

2) Sometimes, the only way to affect change is to break a bad cycle. Even if the cycle is enjoyable, fun, familiar and easy but it won't bring you any closer to your goals, it's important to first recognize the issue and then try to eliminate it from your life. When I moved to Israel, I automatically broke one of my bad cycles but this evening I had an opportunity to fall back into a similar situation. Tonight, I was able to stave off what could have potentially turned into a "bad situation" and while I'm proud that I was able to fight it I am hoping that I'll have the strength to continue on.

Song of the day is Sorry Seams to be the Hardest Word by Elton John. The person this is applicable to knows the reason why I'm so sorry, and I hope he really does forgive me.

No comments: