Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Milim Yafot Me'ele



It's 1:30 a.m. on Thursday and I'm too amped up to sleep. I think I've finally gotten my two papers into good enough shape to send to the Professor tomorrow. I'm going to be graded on three elements for this class: my analysis of one of the Tevye The Dairyman stories and my two original short stories. The first one, which has been a literal labor of love, is called The Domino Sky while the second one is Kush Revelations. If anyone out there is interested in reading either story, please let me know, I'm happy to e-mail over copies.

Tonight when Itai came home from work, he knocked on my door but I was in the middle of a paragraph and I ignored the door. When he called me, I told him to come back in a few hours since I was working on the paper. He ended up knocking on my door at around 10:30 and told me that everything in the apartment will be fixed on Friday. He was super nice, and he even lent me this amazing floor lamp so that I can plug in a Shabbos clock and have light on Friday night. Since sundown is so early these days, I'm going to need light in my living room so I can read before heading to bed. It was really nice of him, and I appreciated his efforts.

I mentioned that he had been listening to a song the other night that I really liked and I wanted to borrow the CD (yeah, the walls really are not that thick. When he's eating dinner, I can hear him cutting his food). Turns out, it's the exact same CD Jeff got me for my birthday. I hadn't been able to listen to the CD at the time, my CD player in my laptop was acting funny when I tried, but Itai managed to get it to work for me. And, I've been listening to two specific songs off of the CD all night long! The first song is called Mimamakim (which in English means "From the Depths) and the second song is called Milim Yafot Me'ele (which means beautiful words from someone, not sure if it's from her or from him, I need to look up the word "me'ele" to know for sure.) The "group" and I use that term loosely because it's more of a Fatboy Slim situation is called Idan Raichel and I definitely recommend checking it out.

So, here's the update with my phone. I have the ability to call out, but no one can call in. Very weird. I'm giving it another few hours before I call the cable company again. I hope this gets fixed really soon! I spoke to my friend Tommy in New York and he told me he'd been trying for a few days to get through. He then told me that his Dad passed away last October, and I felt awful that I didn't know. He mentioned trips to Austin in the past, but I thought he was just visiting his Dad and not going to settle the estate. He's doing okay though, which is good, and I told him that we'd be able to catch up a lot more when I'm back in the States.

I also spent about an hour on the phone with Shulamit again tonight. That's the best part of my VOIP, I felt like I was back in the City and we were doing our usual evening catch up. Being able to talk on the phone like that is the reason VOIP was created, and really makes living so far away much easier. Unfortunatey, I haven't been able to connect with more people, but over time I'm hoping that will be much easier. I'm hoping to catch my sister and Marn's when they're driving into work, and Cousin Neil when he's at work. Other people will be a lot more diffcult, especially my nocturnal buddies who used to call in at Midnight. Oh well, we'll just have to figure it all out.

That's it for me, I need to get to bed before the big day tomorrow!

Song of the evening is Milim Yafot Me'ele by Idan Raichel. Dad, I think you'll really like this CD too!

No comments: