Sunday, October 29, 2006

Tribulations



I'm sitting at a coffee shop/video store/laundromat in Kikar Dizengoff and have been here for the past 2 1/2 hours. All I ordered was a decaf coffee and two glasses of water, so they must be ready to kick me out at this point, but I've been getting a lot of writing done so I hope they don't want me to give up my seat anytime soon. This place is great actually. Super clean, decent location and teeming with interesting folks so that I can people watch to my heart's content. Gayle met me here initially and we chatted over coffee and then did some work before she left to meet Julia at the movie theatre across the way. I have too much work to do to join them, so I'm trying to finish up before heading back home.

It took me almost 3 hours to write a 6 sentence poem today for my poetry homework. This class is going to be my most difficult, by far, and I'm starting to regret the decision to take the course. Tamara mentioned that the reason I'm finding the assignments so hard is because I'm not letting myself go yet. As soon as I reach the dreamlike state of mind that Gardner talks about in his book, then I'll be able to write what I'm not letting myself write.

I have no idea what that means but I hope the trance hits me soon, I have a lot of writing I want to get done.

In addition to running the various errands today, like sorting out my medical insurance problems, I also worked on a mix CD for Asi this afternoon. We had been in Ari's car on our way to Jerusalem a couple of weeks ago when Asi mentioned his fascination with Disco music. So, I told him that I would pull together a mix that would really tap into his type of music. Initially the mix really just consisted of the disco classics but I just couldn't allow myself to not include some new and great music that would appeal to his John Travoltaesque musical sensibilities. Once I'm finished with this, he's be doing the hustle all the way across the Bar Ilan campus.

Song of the day is Tribulations by LCD Soundsystem

No comments: