Friday, August 31, 2007

Coolinary



I have had such a fun afternoon in the kitchen! It's really exciting being able to use all these great gifts people got us. So, the aforementioned picture will show two of my favorite kitchen gifts. First, this amazing and small but durable hand mixer which I used to make Blondies. It took no time at all and was really amazing to use; made me wonder how come I've never had one before.

Second, this block of knives are not only fashionable, they are sharp! I never got the chicken shears I wanted off of my registry, and I was faced with a huge piece of chicken breast and nothing to cut it with. So, I decided to try one of the smaller knives and it cut through the half frozen chicken like it was butter! Of course, I got so excited with the knife that I got clumsy and cut myself, but it was worth it. Now, we have really, really good knives to cook with and that is so important!

The oven, on the other hand, is a different matter. It's a Sauter and it doesn't speak my language. I'm not sure how to convert the F to C on this machine, so I've just been following the manuel as best as possible. Which means, I overcooked the chicken and might have just undercooked the blondies. Good thing it's just me and Buggy for Shabbos lunch, I wouldn't want to poison anyone!

We got an early morning wake up call today, which was good, and we got our day going relatively early. We first went into town to pick up my engagement ring, which needed to be redipped in iridium because the white gold was turning yellow. I was happy to get my ring back, I felt a bit naked without it this entire week! Then, we stopped into English Bakery on Jaffa to get chalot for Shabbos. We compromise since I like sweet and Buggy likes salty, and we got one of each. The sweet one looked like it was lacquered so I have no idea how much I'll be eating of it tomorrow, but we'll see.

Next, it was on to Steimatzky so that Buggy could pick up a new book to read during our honeymoon. Since I'm next in line for the Harry Potter, Buggy was definitely anxious to find a book to keep him company while I read my book. I hope we'll be able to get the R&R we need next week!

We then tried to go to the bank but it was closed, they really close early on Fridays so I guess I shouldn't have been so surprised. We walked back to the car and drove to a Makolet so I could pick up some spices. I noticed yesterday that I was really low on black pepper and I saw some chocolate chips so we decided to pick up a package for blondies.

Then, on our way home, we swung by Peh-air, which is an amazing bakery on Emek! They make such great Challot, but since we already have the English Cake ones, I decided to pass and wait for another Shabbos. We couldn't find a cake made only with oil (Buggy can't have margarine) so that was even more resolve for me to bake when I got home!

And then, there I was, all alone in the new kitchen with an entire meal to prepare. I tackled things one at a time, first making the Quinoa and then roasting the shwarma spiced cauliflower. I pan fried the baby eggplants and marinated the chicken. After that, it was just a quick throwing together for the blondies and I was finished.

Now, all I have to do it break down all of the boxes littering the living room floor before Shabbos. We're eating out tonight, and I'm looking forward to the post-dinner walk home. It should be very refreshing!

Shabbat Shalom to all!

No comments: