Thursday, August 16, 2007

Im Yirtzeh Hashem By You? You! umm, you?!?



OK, so this is an important blog and I just hope some of my friends out there are reading and will be kind enough to weigh in on this subject. This is very new to me and I just want to make sure I'm not doing anything to hurt anyone's feelings.

So, for the past 30 years I've been a single gal. For more than a decade of those years, I was a single gal at loads of friends weddings. And, at almost every single wedding, the bride would turn to me at some point - sometimes on the dance floor, other times during the Badeken, once even in the elevator after the wedding - and said those few words: Im Yirtzeh Hashem By You.... And, each time, I smiled politely and said Amen or Thank you but went home feeling like crap and usually ended up breaking my pre-wedding slim down with a pint of Ben & Jerry's.

But now, here I am thankfull on the other side of this scenario, and I'm the one who is bearing the bride brand. And here's the thing, when I think about my single friends, I truly FEEL inside how much I wish this for them. I want each and every one of them to feel the way I feel right now. To experience all the things I'm experiencing. And not just the wedding, but the relationship. I want all my friends to find their soulmates and start building lives together as couples. And, I'm not trying to be cheesy or emotional or anything, but when I look at my friends I really want to bless them with this wonderful occurance. But, the question I pose to you (dear, dear readers!) is - what's the best way to do this?

I don't want my friends to think I'm being fake or condescending, because that's terrible. I don't want them to feel bad about themselves by basically throwing it in their faces that they don't have what I have, but gosh I really wish it will happen for them. I don't want to make them feel the way I felt many, many, many times in my life. Yet, I want them to know that I truly am thinking about them, and will P"G be praying for them before the Chupah.

So, how do I do that in a way that will make my friends feel good about themselves and not like they want to dive into a vast of Coldstone Creamery Cake ice cream and not come up for air until the sugar high helps them forget that they're single? (and again, this blog is for those friends who don't WANT to be single, not the friends who love it and have no interest in dating).

I guess this is where my heads at these past few days. Today was another busy day but fortunately, the last one trekking into the City. I went to Saks this morning and hit all my counters: Jo Malone, Bobbi Brown, Mac and Kiehl's. One by one, I crossed things off the list. Then, I grabbed a cab uptown to Bed Bath and Beyond and went shopping and bought stuff of my registry using store credit and gift cards I got from Melissa and Hannah at the shower on Sunday. I got some great stuff for our apartment, but the bags were super heavy. So, I took a cab to see Josine and had an hour facial with microdermabrasion (highly recommend, it makes the skin look so much younger and glowing!), and my usual waxes. Then, I stood on 80th and Broadway with all my bags and begged cab after cab to take me home to Queens. But, no one would do it because their shift was up.

It was not fun! I finally hailed a cab and got home in decent time. And then tonight has been the usual evening - playing with the kids, eating a quick dinner, opening up new packages, writing thank you notes, laundry and other wedding errands.

The count is close and I can't wait!

1 comment:

tafka PP said...

Ohhh- I SO know this feeling (I was always more a chocolate girl, tho)

Give them big hugs, tell them you love them...I'm sure all your thoughts/brachot get transmitted on your Special Kallah Direct Line without you actually having to say that sentence... and the ones who want you to daven for them will put their names on your list.

Mazal Tov! I'll be watching out for the pics on the "other" site!