Thursday, August 10, 2006

15 Chayalim Killed

It's now 11:35 pm EST as I write this blog and, at this time next week, I should be getting on a plane bound for Ben Gurion airport. It's surreal. And what's worse, is that as my excitement grows for my move, soldiers and citizens keep dying.

15 Israeli soldiers were killed in Lebanon today, and what was I doing when this happened? I spent the day preparing for my trip to Tel Aviv. Blissfully happy.

The day was chock full of activities. I went to the gym this morning and got in 45 minutes of cardio. I then came home, showered, got dressed and went into the City to meet my Aunt for lunch at My Most Favorite Desserts. We had a really lovely, relaxing lunch. The weather in NYC today was gorgeous, low 80's with relatively low humidity and a light breeze that made sitting outside simply amazing. We then went to Lord and Taylor so I could shop for some more skirts to wear in the hot, Tel Aviv weather. We parted ways on Park Avenue and she gave me two gifts. One from her (money is always appreciated; thank you soo much Aunt Amy!!) and a present from my Aunt and Uncle in Florida (the journal and stationary set will really come in handy, thank you guys!!). Then I hit my absolutely favorite store in all of NYC: Duane Reade. For those reading my blog who aren't familiar with the chain of drugstores, Duane Reade is the Bergdorf Goodman's of toiletries. I decided I want to come to Israel with a month's supply of all of my usual products. One hour later, and toteing two HUGE bags of stuff, I made my way to Starbucks to wait for Scott.

Scott is one of my absolutely favorite people in the world. He was my very first boss when I started working in PR, and is the mentor responsible for my successful career. I worked for and with him for almost three years and it was amazing. The fact that we're still close, almost eight years after I started in the business, is really fantastic. I found it fitting that we went for drinks across the street from his office, the site of where it all began for me. Scott is actually the person responsible for my alcohol education when, after my first day on the job in 1998, he took me and a group of new colleagues to Park Avenue Country Club for "welcome drinks". I ordered a Bud Light (I had never been inside a bar before and that was what I knew from TV) and, after the bartender looked horrified with my order, Scott stepped in and saved me. Granted, I was drinking Corona's and Amstel Lights for a while after that day, but I was no longer ashamed to go out with folks from work. Tonight we just laughed and drank and had a good time. I'm really going to miss him when I go.

Of course, when I got home, I was no longer able to keep the media reports at bay and I tuned into Fox News Channel to hear the update. That's when I was informed about the 15 soldiers killed today. I immediately sat down at my laptop and did a google search for the one Chayal I know who is currently serving in the Golani brigade. I will have to blog about Dov at a later date; a man I haven't seen in more than 12 years who I'd love to reconnect with once I move to Israel.

I can't even describe how I feel as I type his name into the google and Ynet, Haaretz and Jpost search engines. For those few seconds, as the search looks for his name, my heart races with fear. And then, I am filled with relief when they can't find his name.

But the relief is truly fleeting, for I then go to the articles about the soldiers killed and read about their lives, their sacrifices, the people they've left behind, the loved ones who are now devestated and lost.

The dichotomy of feelings is really intense. I am elated that Dov has survived to see another day and, at the same time, devestated that someone like Staff Sergeant Michael Levin (Z"L) has been killed.

I wonder how people who have loved ones fighting in the North deal with those conflicting emotional responses. Does anyone else out there feel guilty that their child/husband/son/grandson/nephew/friend was spared but that means that someone else's child/husband/son/grandson/nephew/friend was sacrificed? I'd really love to hear from anyone who is dealing with this situation right now.

In the meantime, I continue to pray that the killing will stop soon.

No comments: