Thursday, August 03, 2006

Tisha B'Av and Amos Gitai


Kippur
Originally uploaded by holylandhipster.
As Manhattan cooks in this unbearable heat, and shrouded by the hazy cloud of smog that has embraced this small Queens community, hundreds of people made their way to shul this evening to listen to Eicha. For the past eight years, since I first moved out of my parents home, I established a tradition for Tisha B'Av. On Tisha B'Av evening, I would attend Eicha services at the Spanish Portugese synagogue on the Upper West Side. The shul hands out flashlights and Kinot booklets and the tone of the fast is really established nicely. Immediately following Eicha, I would then engage in a "what is the meaning of life" conversation with the guy I was dating at the moment. That would take me well into Tisha B'Av morning, when I would finally get to sleep and wake up with at least 10 hours left to the fast. The afternoon was always the same, catch up on work e-mails before watching Exodus. I only watch Exodus on Tisha B'Av, that is my tradition. Until this year.

When I was moving out of my apartment, I decided to give away all of my VHS movies. When one of my newly married friends came by my apartment to pick up a number of items they were purchasing, they both mentioned that they had never seen Exodus. I gave them the movie under the condition that they too watch it on Tisha B'av. They agreed. The tradition has suddenly been paid forward.

Which means that I now have to find a new movie to watch during Tisha B'av. When I was younger and in summer camp, we would watch Operation Thunderbolt on Tisha B'Av. I went to sleep away camp from age 9 - 16, which means that I've seen the movie 7 times. And, as much as I think Yonatan Netanyahu is a true hero and that movie has inspired me in so many ways, it's time for me to find a new film.

I purchased Amos Gitai'sKippur back in May, right before the Tribeca Film Festival. Initially, I was planning on saving it for Tisha B'av afternoon, but I couldn't wait. Given the current situation in Israel, I feel it's particularly apropos to rewatch the movie again tomorrow. To summarize, Kippur is a story about Chayalim fighting during the 1973 Yom Kippur War in both the Sinai and Golan Heights. The film focuses on a group of Chayalim up in the Golan whose responsible for evacuating the wounded from the battlefield. It's a riveting portrayal of courage; a devestating depiction of heroism; an honest account of war.

There is one scene in particular that really resonated with me, and it involved the rescue group getting bogged down in mud while trying to evacuate a wounded soldier. The scene is at least 25 minutes long, as these men try and try to desperately move in the mud. In any other film, the scene would be comical and moviegoers would howl with laughter at their inability to gain an inch. But given the subject matter, this scene is heartbreaking to watch as you know that every minute is precious for the wounded soldier. I actually found myself wondering if they wouldn't get him out with enough time to save his life.

I highly recommend the film, and it's perfect viewing for such a somber day like Tisha B'av.

Have an easy and meaningful fast.

No comments: