Thursday, August 24, 2006

Conversations with Other Women

Did you know that, on the breasts of female mannequins in Israel, the nipples are all erect? Not sure about the male mannequins but I nearly spit my Diet Nestea all over myself when I noticed the occurances of nippilitis in Tel Aviv. It made me want to bring all the mannequins a blanket.

Following my experience this morning, I decided I needed to burn off some energy and was about to walk up to my new gym, when I noticed a big sign on my front door. My landlord needed to "see me". Man, it felt like I was back at my old job and my boss was going to give me a tongue lashing for not getting the better hit/keeping the client happy/upsetting on of my underlings. I locked up and went down to their office, where I encountered both of my landlords. After helping them translate some things from Hebrew into English and vice versa (i.e. Maid Service, Aunt, Uncle and cousins) they informed me that my check didn't clear. Since they insisted I make it out in Hebrew, eventhough it's from an English bank, I was not surprised. But they still needed to be paid. In cash. ASAP. I didn't come to Israel with that much cash, and I had no idea I had to paid in bills otherwise I would have been better prepared, so I was kinda SOL (sh*t outta luck) and about to call in for reinforcements to wire them some cash, when they told me about the ATM machine that gives dollars.

For all those living in Tel Aviv who have American bank accounts, the Bank Leumi ATM machine on Ben Yehuda gives dollars. Don't get stressed out that the bills looked different then when you are at home. It's still good.

Well, I had to run to the ATM, take out the cash, and then run back since they both don't work tomorrow and were getting ready to leave for the night. That helped me burn off all that excess energy, but I wanted to walk back up to the gym and sign up nonetheless. That's when my cell phone rang and my friend Ilana from NYC was on the other line. She's in town for a wedding and we caught up a bit, it was really nice to hear her voice. I don't think I'll be able to hang with her though, she's in town for such a short period of time. We'll see what Sunday brings.

As we were chatting, I found myself heading back to the Dizengoff mall. I am running low on toilet paper and could stock up on groceries for the weekend, before the mad crush of people off from work hit the malls tomorrow. I've learned that lesson from last week, and hope to always avoid the malls on Fridays. But, I did a quick lap and realized that the new flick Conversations with Other Women was playing at 5:00 p.m. It was 5:05 and so I decided to cool off and see the movie at the same time. It was a good call. The flick was great and, since I loved Aaron Eckhart in Thank you for Smoking, I knew I wouldn't be disappointed. Unfortunately, the movie was too short for my taste, and the next thing I knew the theatre doors were opening and spitting me back out into the humid air.

After picking up provisions at both Super Center and Tuv Taam, I headed back to my place. Before grabbing a bite to eat, I decided to stop into Tower records to check out the selection. Gal had mentioned the band Selfish Gene, so I decided to pick up their album. Big mistake. It's crap. Gal's musical taste is not that impressive. Anyway, I'm hoping to offload the CD when I meet up with Ari on Saturday night. I'll just tell him it's a present. If he hates it, I'll admit that I thought it was crap too. If he loves it, I'll know never to invite him to a concert.

Speaking of which, I looked into the bar that Squid is playing on Sunday night, and it's called The Minerva. When I asked Lior at Tower records about it, he told me it was the #1 lesbian bar in Tel Aviv. But he goes there frequently. Because they have great live music, not because the girls ignore him.

Hmmm, I wonder if I neglect to tell Jeff that it's a gay club if he'll be more or less inclined to join me.

Tomorrow is an easy day:
1) Pick up a bottle of Ketel One for my meal on Friday night (more about that after the weekend)

2) Do laundry (down to 2 clean pairs of underwear, so this is a must)

3) Hit the beach. I'd like some more color before school starts on Monday

No comments: