Thursday, August 31, 2006

BBQ with Conan O'Brien



Last night was the shul BBQ and I met some nice people. But the highlight of the evening was when I watched the opening skit from this past Sunday's EMMY's. It was absolutely hysterical. Conan crawling into the overhead compartment on the plane was particularly funny since Conan is at least 7 feet tall. But the whole spoof on the Dateline sexual predator episode was great, albiet not really such a topic to make fun of since it was really scary to see how many men actually showed up to that home thinking they were going to have sex with underaged kids.

Thanks to Shulamit and Marnina for chatting last night, I was so wired from the BBQ when I got home, I had to talk to them in order to unwind. Rumor also has it that Neil, Rantz and Gruber are back from South Africa. I hope by now they've thawed out and that Neil has finally slept. I expect a full report on the trip (and, more importantly, I need to know what present they brought back for me!!!).

Oh, and I also learned something interesting last night. Apparently, if a guy uses the term "Lehazmin" (which means to invite) when referring to coffee, it means he wants to take you out somewhere for coffee. But, if he just says "I want to come over for coffee", that means a hook up. Coming over for coffee is the Israeli code for booty call. Thank you to Sarah for giving me that very important, and essential, tip.

So, I've been thinking a lot about the whole Ronen situation. Now, he didn't invite himself over for coffee, he actually invited me out to coffee, so at least that part is legitimate. And, the Ronen situation got me thinking of one of my lawyer friends in NYC. A few months ago, he was on the Acela down to D.C. for work when some beautiful woman walked by his seat, dropped her business card, and then got off of the train. Her business card had a NYC work address and my friend, who I think is deep down a closet romantic, decided to call her. One, because she had the balls to do something like that. Two, because he was intrigued by the entire situation and he wanted to see how it would play out. Three, because she was apparently gorgeous! So, he called her when he got back to town and they met up for drinks in the neighborhood. Needless to say, it was not a love match. However, he was extremely proud that he followed through (and I was too, that took a lot of guts for her to do so it was nice that he went out with her especially since he was single). OK, so back to my situation. In NYC, when someone tries to pick you up in a bar/gym/subway, 9 times out of 10, you don't go out with them. For me, it's because the guys picking me up are typically never Jewish. But here I am in Israel, and chances are that the guys picking me up ARE Jewish. So, should I just take a chance are go?

If you were me, would you call Ronen?

Today is going to be a busy day. I have class from Noon - 5:00 pm, then I'm coming home and changing for the gym where I'll be doing cardio and weights, and then it's back home for a quick shower and change before hitting Jerusalem. I've been to Israel now for 2 weeks and still haven't gone to Jerusalem. Since I have a ride, I know it's definitely time to go.

Song of the day is As Sure as the Sun by the Black Rebel Motorcycle Club (BRMC). This is one of my favorite songs to hear they play in concert.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was looking for info on the Emmys and found your blog - I missed the Conan lead in and can't find it online - I'm so bummed! I heard it was priceless (though I did hear the Dateline thing was a little close to the line). I agree with you that the whole series is really scary, there is a real problem in this country when 1 in 7 kids are sexually approached online! I've used the Cybertipline to report people that have done weird things on MySpace, or spam I get - I'll bust those pervs too! :)