Friday, September 01, 2006

(Party) Up in Here



It's going to be another scorcher today in Tel Aviv, but for a few blissful hours last night, I was literally in heaven. Jerusalem, that is. We went to a house party in the Katamon area, or at least that's where I think we were since we drove past Wolfson and it took me back to my days in Machal. The party was nice, I actually ran into a girl from the Upper West Side who was in town visiting on vacation, so we spent a lot of time chatting. Otherwise, I met some nice new people, and I saw Eli, which was one of the goals of the evening. I had to practically force myself back into the car to Tel Aviv. As much as it's great here, there is just something comfortable and familiar about Jerusalem that makes me feel well, home.

Class yesterday was also pretty good, except that I was forced to read aloud, which I am not wont to do. I have no problem sharing what I wrote, just would prefer not reading it out loud to the class. What can I say, one of my hang ups. The Professor had some interesting comments regarding the first piece I turned in on Tuesday, and he also gave us the first full length assignment. In addition to critiquing a "Tevye The Dairyman" piece, I have to write a short story that's a conversation between two family members. I know exactly what I'm going to write, just have to do it over the weekend.

Sadly, I cannot continue to blog right now, as I have lots to do and time is shorter on Friday with Shabbos starting close to 7:00 p.m. I was invited to an all girl pot luck dinner, which made me feel right at home since we frequently had all girl pot luck meals (and I will not publish here what the meals were referred to by Cousin Neil) at Rachel and Marnina's (and Shulamit's before she up and married Paul and moved to Boston!) The challenge today is that I was tasked to make a vegetable dish, and since I'm still living out of suitcases and have no clue where my knives are, nor do I have an oven so roasting vegees are out, it's going to be an interesting day. I'm thinking about heading over to Dizingoff Center now, before it gets absolutely crazy, to pick up some stuff. The two options are either a corn salad or a taco salad. Wish me luck!


Song of the day is Here He Comes by The Wallflowers, because the image of a drunken marrionette dragging his mess of threads is absolutely brilliant songwriting.

No comments: