Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Mercury Prize Awarded; Pulitzer Prize Heats Up



The Arctic Monkeys, the great British band that brought us all those foot stomping songs like I Bet You Look Good on the Dancefloor and Mardy Bum have captured the Mercury Prize, beating out a list of acts that included Hot Chip, Radiohead's Thom Yorke and my personal favorite, Muse.

The full list of nominees included:

Arctic Monkeys 'Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not' - Winner
Editors 'The Back Room'
Guillemots 'Through The Windowpane'
Hot Chip 'The Warning'
Isobel Campbell & Mark Lanegan 'Ballad Of The Broken Seas'
Lou Rhodes 'Beloved One'
Muse Black 'Holes And Revelations'
Richard Hawley 'Coles Corner'
Scritti Politti 'White Bread, Black Beer'
Sway 'This Is My Demo'
Thom Yorke 'The Eraser'
Zoe Rahman 'Melting Pot'

And, while they were accepting their award last night, I was working on my own submission. For the Pulitzer prize in Literature. No pressure or anything. But hey, at least I have some hard core ambition. My first short story that I will be turning in at the end of the course is called The Domino Sky and I'm at a crucial moment in the story. I'm hoping today's events will help me with the ending.

WEEDS Update!



Thank you to WeirdScientist on YouTube for uploading all of the Season 2 episodes of Weeds. I'm now ALL caught up and a very happy Nancy Botwin kush lovin' viewer. My favorite part of this week's episode was the scene between the former Israeli soldier (female) and Andy. He's just not a Gever (man). Love that!

Now on to my friend Jenny, who was so nice to send me the link to the TV Guide blog that includes a complete episode summary. Thanks Jenny for sending that over, it was great! Oh, and thank you sooo much for telling me that you bought a
ticket to an event at the Museum of TV and Radio to see the finale and have a Q&A with Mary Louise Parker and Elizabeth Perkins next month. If it turns out to be anything like the Saved after-party, I expect a full e-mail report with lots of details!!!

Hmmm, anyone know when The L Word premieres? Jules, you're on deck for that one! Oh, and any more Gale Harrold updates will be greatly appreciated. I'm going to be spending at least 2 days at your apartment for a marathon TV watching date in February. I'll bring the drinks.

Bed Update
Ummm, so it's not ready. They can't deliver it before Sunday or Monday of next week. They LIED to me when I ordered it two weeks ago. So, I'm going to be spending this coming shabbos either curled up on a ball on the hard tiled floor of my gorgeous new apartment, or will have to find someone who wants to spend Shabbos sleeping on the beach. I told the owner of the store that, for the amount of money I paid for that bed, he better figure something out or else I'm putting a stop on the credit card payment. That was a tremendous motivator, he's going to get back to me tomorrow with a solution. I'm hoping to at least get the mattress in time for Sundown. Will keep y'all posted.

I love Israel, it's all about the experience.

Song of the day is Left Before the Lights Came Onby the Arctic Monkeys. Congrats guys!

No comments: