Wednesday, September 27, 2006

The Killers in September


The Killers
Originally uploaded by holylandhipster.
I can't believe how much i have to blog about today, it feels like a lifetime took place within the past 24 hours.

First of all, like New York Telephone I am finally ALL CONNECTED! That's right, the most amazing man in all of Israel came to my apartment last night and hooked up my wireless. So, not only does my laptop now work throughout the apartment, but my VOIP is finally active! When the little green light went on last night, I was so happy! Chaim Kram is literally The Man. He's going to come back after the Chagim and finish setting up my Mac, but for now, the essentials are working so that's really all that matters.

After Chaim left, I quickly got dressed and ran to meet Jeff at Blockbusters. We have completely different taste in movies, which made selecting a flick really difficult. I finally just gave in to what he wanted to see, which was Lucky Number Slevin, a movie he had already seen before. Then, we walked to the sushi place near his apartment and picked up dinner. We ended up back at his apartment where I choked on the worst spicy tuna roll I've ever attempted to eat (I left it, Jeff ended up finishing the roll it was that bad) and managed to force the rest of my vegetarian sushi down my throat before the movie really began. The movie was pretty bad, not at all like Memento and a couple of times I looked at Jeff and begged him to let me leave, but he insisted that I stay to finish the movie. Here's the deal, if I have to force myself to stay through a bad movie only to see how it's all tied up in a bow at the end, it's not the movie for me. But, that being said, it was a good film to watch last night as it put my story into perspective. Bottom line is this, the audience doesn't really have that much patience for something that doesn't make sense untii the end. It's frustrating and annoying. So, I at least walked out of his apartment at 12:15 a.m. learning a good lesson.

When I got home, I was just so happy that my phone was up and running, that I immediately made some calls. I spoke to my sisters for a bit and then called Mom and Dad. I left messages for cousin Neil, managed to catch Ari Samuel on the bus to some shiur at the Puck building, and really caught up with Shulamit in Boston. At around 2:30 a.m., I hung up the phone and crawled into bed. My alarm was going off at 6:15 a.m. so I was hoping to get some Z's in before the exterminator came.

No luck.

I think I slept for about 3 hours before I dragged my exhausted body out of bed. I look like a boxer again, two black eyes and all puffy from lack of sleep. The good news was that it was 11:45 p.m. in the States when I was all dressed, have my bags packed, and was ready for the Juke man to come kill our roaches. I texted Itai to make sure he was up, and then he called to let me know that the Juke man wasn't coming until 7:15. That was slightly annoying as I could have slept a little later, but I was on the phone with THE DUDE so I didn't care. We caught up a bit and then I had to go because I thought the bug man was at the door. False alarm. Since it was still before midnight, I decided to give Josh Dyckman another call.

Yeah, big mistake, woke him up. I felt pretty bad about it and quickly hung up after apologizing profusely. I really wanted to know how his birthday went last week and I guess I should have realized that after 11:30 p.m. might be too late to call some people.

Anyway, Itai came over with a bottle of apple infused water (it was pretty good) and we chatted a bit. He isn't feeling well today, apparently his throat is bothering him and he is running a fever, but he was all packed for some work retreat he's going on for the next few days. I was able to take a better look at his apartment and went through his CD's. Yeah, Itai has pretty bad taste in music. When I asked him who he liked, he said Mariah Carey and then I spied the Britney Spears CD in his tower and started laughing.

I think I'm going to have to make the man a mix.

And then our 22 year old Juke killer showed up and kicked us out of the apartment. As he arranged his gas mask, we made our way outside and chatted a bit more before he was finished and we were able to come back upstairs and lock the apartment. We weren't allowed back in for 4 hours, which was no problem for Itai because he was heading off to work. I, on the other hand, was homeless so I hit the laundromat.

It was great, no one was there and it was breezy this morning so I was able to work on my second story. I am writing a fictional piece about Meyer Lansky, and I hope that it will be in decent enough shape to send to Professor Hadari before the weekend. Right now, I have a pretty solid set up, just need to beef up the dialogue. After I finished my laundry, I hit a cafe for some coffee and breakfast (fruit, yogurt and some granola) and then spoke to Tamara who was fighting her way through school registration. Good thing she is doing it this week because I don't think I would be able to handle what she went through today. At least now I know what to do when I have to head to school at 8:30 next Wednesday for Fall registration. It should be very interesting.

After dropping off my laundry in my apartment (no worries, I held my breathe), I walked over to the Dizengoff mall to open up an account with Orange. I'm tired of having to run to a store for a pre-paid calling card each time I need to use my cell phone. Now, they will just take the money out of my account each month and I no longer have to worry about not having enough minutes. Granted, with my new and awesome VOIP I won't be using my cell as much but it's definitely worth it!

After the mall, I got back to my apartment and grabbed some lunch before sitting down to do some work. And when I say work, I mean WORK! I was hired by Ilya to do some consulting work for her and I can't even tell you how amazing it was to just get some PR work done. It was some interesting research for one of her clients, but it felt really nice to be productive again. I spent the hour finishing the assignment for her and then sent the document over just as the phone rang.

I guess Josh didn't hold a grudge against me for waking him because he called while walking from his apartment to his office. Of course, he totally made me jealous when he walked by my old apartment and when he discribed how gorgeous the weather has been in the City these past few days. But then he told me he bought tickets to The Killers a The Theatre at Madison Square Garden at the end of October. When Jules and I went to Across the Narrows last year, we missed The Killers because they were performing on The Shabbos. And, with a new album about to drop, I'm sure the concert is going to be amazing. I'll let you know what Josh says after the concert in a few weeks! Who knows, maybe The Killers will swing across The Middle East and head my way (hey, a gal can hope!).

And now it's 5:00 p.m. and I think I've had a pretty busy day! I am thinking about walking towards Ramat Aviv later to check out some of the cool stores I saw last week when I was in a cab. There was a Bang & Olufsen that I spied from the monit window and they always have cool things in that store.

Tomorrow is class again and I'm hoping to get to Jerusalem after sunset. Avi is making a meal for Shabbos but he said he would take a break from preparing to meet me for Mincha at the Kotel. Hopefully I'll be able to get another Mezuzah for my apartment too. Worse comes to worse, I'm going to ask Mom and Dad to bring me another one for my place in a few weeks. Right now, I only have the one from my old apartment on my front door but I need another one for my bedroom door.

Song of the day is When You Were Young the new single off of Sam's Town, the sophomore attempt by The Killers. Go to iTunes if you want the single, it's great!

No comments: