Monday, September 11, 2006

The Egoist

Before I start this post, I'd like to recognize the fact that today is the 5th anniversary of September 11th and before this day is done, I will be sharing my own personal 9-11 story. In the meantime, I send my heartfelt condolence to all of those who are mourning today, which include a couple of close friends of mine.



Late last night, I decided that I am not enough of an egoist. This morning, I decided to channel M. Night Shyamalan himself to rectify that situation. I'll explain the process in a second.

Last night, I spent 2 1/2 hours at the gym. Yehuda would have been super proud, of course he wasn't there, but I did do an hour of weights and an hour of cardio. Then I went to check out the apartment, which is really coming together nicely. The kitchen was being installed when I walked in, and I hung out and chatted with my landlord for a while before hitting the beach and heading home.

And that was it, I was supposed to be in for the night. I jumped into the shower, put on my PJ's, and just let the phone calls start coming. I spoke to the folks, a couple of Tel Aviv new friends, Marns, and this guy from Jerusalem that I'm going out with next week (ok, I know I said no more dating, but we had started this before I made that edict so now I'm going to meet up with him next week for coffee). And then Ari called to say that him and Asi (his BFF and a guest blogger on his site) were going to come to my neck of the woods for a drink and would I like to join. I weighed my options, which were write about what goes on across the street from the vantage point of someone who just walks by every day or actually experience it firsthand and become one of the patrons I was writing about. I figured why the heck not, they were making it pretty easy for me so it's not like I was going to hobnob with the locals alone, so I threw on a pair of jeans and a t-shirt and met them at the corner.

It turned into an evening that was completely and totally great research for my new piece. Let me explain. I am working on a short story right now that happens to involve the Stripshow across the street. Now, directly parallel to the Stripshow are these outdoor " bars/cafes" that are frequented by the seedier inhabitants of this area. For some reason, Ari and Asi were up for grabbing a drink at one of those outdoor bars/cafes, and that appealed to me. I'm actually really glad I went because now I'm going to "paint" myself, Ari and Asi into one of the critical scenes of my short story. And that's what I mean by channeling M. Night Shyamalan, who always managed to include a bit part for himself in every one of his movies.

Today I'm back at school and I have to pay for the next semester, so I'm hoping we'll get an extra long break so that I can go ahead and take care of that. Then it's back home tonight where I'm going to have to hit a supermarket as I have zero provisions in my apartment, and then it's back to the gym.

Sunday afternoon football recap: The Jets beat the Titans, Manning vs. Manning went to Peyton as the Colts showed the Giants who's boss and the Bears SPANKED the Packers 26-0. Ouch! Vince is rolling over in his grave right now trying to figure out why Favre didn't retire at the end of last season like he was supposed to.

I miss my Green Bay boys and hope the entire football writing staff of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, that used to be headed up by Bob McGinn, has found someone else to get them a Dr. for Monday's post-game day column.

Song of the day is America by Razorlight.

No comments: