Saturday, September 02, 2006

To Sleep, Perchance To Dream



I do my best writing on Shabbat. What's unfortunate, is that I can never get it down on paper as the physical act of writing is not allowed. I slept so well last night, it was one of the first times since I've gotten to Israel when I had a really deep sleep. So, when I woke up this morning, my mind was full of stories, lines, metaphors, descriptions, a whirlwind of words. I sat up in bed and began constructing the children's story I am writing for my niece in honor of her 2nd birthday. The title of the story is Galit and the Musical Sneakers and the story is about a little girl who goes to the store to get a pair of sneakers to wear on the first day of her new school. She tries on a whole bunch of sneakers that don't fit, but finally finds a pair that plays musical notes with every step she takes. But, she is the only one who can hear the music. Her Mom and the shoe salesmen can't hear a single note! She ends up buying those sneakers and wears them out of the store, the music affirming that she is a special girl who marches to her own beat. I'm hoping to get this down on paper soon, and have someone illustrate it, so I can mail it to her in time for her birthday. Fortunately, I have a few more weeks to go!

Yesterday was exhausting. I've never done so much physical activity in my life. I went to three different supermarkets to get the ingredients for the taco salad (which was a BIG hit at dinner!), then I went to look at my apartment and was impressed with the progress, and finally I hit the gym and did some cardio and then an hour of weights. After working out I walked the 20 minutes back to my apartment, made the salad, spoke to some family and friends in the States, lit Shabbat candles and then walked another 20 minutes to my meal. It was lovely, I met some more nice people, hung out with some of the folks I met last Shabbos and just had an overall good time. I asked one of the guys at the meal to help me move to my new apartment (if it's ready in time, mind you) next Friday morning and he agreed, which was nice and another big weight off of my shoulders. I've got a lot of stuff and need the muscle power!

I was so tired from Friday that I actually slept 13 hours last night, and didn't get out of bed until 1:30 this afternoon. As much as I would have liked to have gone to shul for services, my body really needed the rest so I didn't push myself. I spent the next 2 1/2 hours reading one of the best books of short stories I have ever had the priviledge of reading in my entire life. It's called For the Relief of Unbearable Urges and was written by a young author named Nathan Englander (Mom, Shulamit, and Marnina, I recommend this book so definitely add it to your next Barnes and Noble order! Ilya, this is the book I'm going to be sending to you). The short stories were wonderfully crafted, extremely engaging and left a deep impression. This is the type of book I hope to write one day. I actually finished the entire book today, which is a testiment to the writer, as I didn't make Hamavdil until I was finished (an extra 30 minutes!). At 4:00 pm I met a friend on the Tayelet and we walked a bit up towards the middle of the beach and made ourselves at home. It was just wonderful to be there, in that moment, watching the waves rushing towards the shore. The tide was very high today so the surfers were out in droves, and the water washed far up on the beach leaving some sunbathers scampering for higher ground. At some point, I asked a couple of guys for the time, and we were then joined by Tzachi and Yosef from Ramat Gan. Both 27, Tzachi's the son of South African and British born parents, while Yosef's family hailed from Iraq. We chatted for a while before the boys left to head back home, and then we stayed to watch the sunset over the water. Absolutely gorgeous. I think I mentioned a few times, as the sun was setting and the sky started turning all sorts of brilliant colors, that I couldn't believe this was now my life. It was a wonderful feeling. I was at peace, and really happy.

After shabbat, I hopped into the shower and gathered up my laundry and headed back to the laudromat. I brought along my homework assignment, and wrote while the machine washed and dried my clothing. I was able to get the entire exercise completed by the time I was ready to fold, and have only to type, edit and print everything out before Monday's class. I'm pretty happy with the submission, but had a little panic attack when I realized that the summer session is almost over and I still need to complete 2 short stories before the end of the month! I don't have anything remotely near finished, so I'm going to have to step up my writing. I wish I didn't have to move again and that I was a little bit more settled, it would help me concentrate more on my writing and less on things like where can I find linen and when am I going to buy an office desk and chair?

Tomorrow I'm hoping to take care of Bituach Liumi so I can get on a health care plan here in Israel. I'm also hoping to stop by this linen store I heard about on Dizengof and Gordon Street. I hope I can find a pillow there! Oh, and this photo is the closest thing I could find that resembles the bed I just bought. It's black wood, with cubby holes in the headboard for things like books, an alarm clock and scented candles, and is also on a platform. I can't wait to finally get off of the hard bed I'm on in the apartment and into a nice, comfortable mattress!

Song of the evening is I'm Just a Kid by Simple Plan, for all the Israeli children going back to school tomorrow morning.

No comments: