Wednesday, September 13, 2006

The Silver Lining



They say that every cloud has a silver lining. I'm hoping that what I just experienced was my first peak of my own personal silver lining. I decided to stop sitting and waiting for the new landlord to call and I called him. Just as good ol' Mom predicted, he has been so busy with his day job (i.e. Israeli lawyer) that he hadn't had time to put the contract together. He is going to send it over to me later tonight. And, as far as he's concerned, they have stopped showing the apartment to other potential renters and we're going to have a sit down on Friday morning. Both of the wonderful Levenson's are coming to Tel Aviv to make this whole thing happen.

Could it really be that I might be in an apartment by Shabbat? I really think I will cry out of sheer relief when this thing is finally over and behind me. But for now, I'm just being "cautiously optomistic". Ah, my favorite term.

Also, a couple of people have e-mailed me about school. So, here is a basic rundown.

I'm really enjoying school. I've been reading such great material, and have had some incredibly poignant critcism from my professor. The fact that he's told me to "keep up the good writing" is encouraging. I look forward to Mondays and Thursdays all week long, and have been really excited about the time I spend in class. Once the AC problem is fixed, I think it will be even better. And, as soon as my apartment situation is settled and I can finally start on a routine, I think I will be very happy here.

I see the happiness and right now we're brushing fingertips. It won't be long now until I'm finally hand in hand with contentment.

On Monday, he asked us to write the opening sentence of the novel we want to one day publish. We have been spending a lot of time on openings and endings, as Professor Hadari feels that a good opening should be pure poetry.

So, here is the opening sentence of the novel I will be (hopefully) writing as my thesis for the Masters program. I hope you all like it, and if not, would love to hear the critcisms.

That year, the bees didn't come as the twelve spinsters of 96th street, who met annually for Shabbos lunch at Sarah Adelman's apartment, clomped in their finest footwear down the 24 city bocks and three avenues to Riverside Drive and 72nd Street.

Good night!

No comments: