Friday, September 08, 2006

Gordon Beach Walk



I got back to sleep at 8:00 am and ending up going straight until 12:30 pm. When I woke up, there was a mid-sized cockaroach crawling up the wall right above my head. Impetus to get out of bed, I grabbed one of my Vans and killed it.

Nice way to wake up this afternoon.

Then my phone started ringing and within the next 5 minutes I had Shabbat dinner plans and caught up a bit with some other new friends I've made here. That was much better than the roach.

I sat down at my computer and saw that my Professor had commented on the alternative ending I had written to the Nathan Englander piece last night. He had some good and some very constructive criticism. While he really liked the description of the Rebbe, he felt that I didn't give the main character enough of a voice. Hmmm, he's right. My strengths happen to be in the details. I'm a fairly observant person and I pick up on even the seemingly insignificant will end up in one of my stories. But when it's time to bring a voice to my characters, I fall a bit flat. I need to work on that and dialogue. Tamara's comments were much more ego-boosting though, so combining the two e-mails made me feel great.

Fortunately, I was only asked to bring wine to dinner tonight so I walked to the AM PM on Shalom Aleichem Street and picked up 3 big bottles of water, a bottle of Spanish wine (red, not white) and some hand soap. I finished the antibacterial hand soap I had brought with me from the States and so I settled on this hand soap with Dead Sea minerals in them. I'll let you know if it actually softens my hands.

I was going to head back to my apartment and do some more writing when Jeff called to say he was taking a walk on the beach. I decided to join him and ended up literally looking like the most religious person on the beach. We went wave walking, at the waters edge, and there I was wearing a skirt and t-shirt. Next time, I think I'm going to have to wear some more beach appropriate gear. At one point, the paddelballers almost beaned me in the face with an errant ball, but otherwise the walk was really relaxing. I walked him to the steps leading up to the Dan Hotel and then walked back to my apartment.

When I got in, my cell phone was ringing and it was Yehuda checking up on me. He wanted to know how I was feeling since Wednesday's workout and whether or not I've been filling out the sheet he had given me. I told him I was a bit sore but nothing too terrible, and that I had been filling everything out as requested. Part of me thinks that he doesn't believe I'm serious about working out, he'll just have to get to know me better.

I called Avi in Jerusalem to wish him a good Shabbos and thanked him for coming to Tel Aviv to meet me. He mentioned not having plans on Saturday night and since I don't think I should avoid going to the kotel much longer, I might just take the bus to Jerusalem and meet him at the Kotel. We're going to touch base after Shabbat and figure it out, but it's looking like a good way to spend the evening.

And that's pretty much it. I got a message from Ari in the States, which was really great. I haven't spoken to him since the Monday night before I left, so it was nice to hear that he didn't forget about me. I hope Cousin Neil isn't working too hard and plan on catching up with him at some point on Sunday but the day will be primarily be spent dealing with the bank and the Kupat Cholim. I'm hoping it will be a somewhat smoother experience.

Enjoy the photo cause that's exactly what the beach looked like today as we walked by the water.

Shabbat Shalom

No comments: