Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Papa Roach


Papa Roach
Originally uploaded by holylandhipster.
Is what I named the first big ass roach/water bug I killed in my apartment. Interesting story really. Here I was, sitting on my new chair and typing an e-mail to Mom using empty boxes as a table when out of the corner of my eye I saw a movement. Thinking I was not going crazy, I turned nonetheless to make sure nothing really moved. Lo and behold, there was Papa Roach, making a mad dash across my salon floor and into the darkness of my bedroom.

Now folks, I am not afraid of bugs. I have killed many of them over the years. I wasn't the girl who liked to pull off the legs of bugs for fun, but I also wasn't the girl who would run away and squeel anytime an insect crossed my path. That being said, this was one Papa of a roach. It was a big ass MF and I was NOT pleased that it was the other living being in this apartment. So, I decided to do what anyone would have done. I decided I still want to live in this apartment alone and so I stepped on it.

Wonder what it sounds like when you step on a roach?

You'd expect me to say that it sounded like a big crunch, right?

Wrong

It sounded like I just took a flying leap into a big puddle.

Sploosh, went Papa Roach.

And then, for posterity, I took a photo before giving him a proper burial in shrouds of toilet paper and laying him to rest in my garbage can.

A perfect ending to an interesting day.

Last night, I slept over by Tamara's in R'anana and by the time it turned 10:30, I was fast asleep. First good night sleep I've had since August 16th and it was wonderful. God bless American mattresses.

This morning, I woke up early, showered, and went to breakfast with Tamara at a local cafe. Then, we hit the home center, where I picked up the essential for my apartment. These also included cleaning supplies, which I used to sweep and clean my floors when I got home.

The bed was also delivered today and well, I don't really want to get started with how upset I am about the whole situation, but I will nonetheless write about it in a future e-mail. There is a girl in my class who writes for the Jerusalem Post, so I am going to ask her to hook me up with her editor so I can write an article about what it's like to be a single woman trying to make her way through this country.

I warn you all now, this article will not be positive but if I end up helping another single woman looking to move here then it will all be worth it.

Thursday I have a meeting with my Professor who wants to discuss my goals over the remaining 3 weeks with the program. Not really sure what will happen with it but I'm interested to hear what he has to say about my writing. I completed my first short story for the program and am looking forward to starting on my second one. I have the idea all sussed out, it's now just a matter of time to put it into words.

Tomorrow I have my refrigerator and the cable man coming. I really, really hope all goes smoothly and that my VOIP will be up and running by the end of the night. I also have a writing assignment I need to finish by Thursday. It's all dialogue writing, which is pretty difficult for me to do. I'm a lot better with descriptive pieces than with straight dialogue. Either way, I'll muddle through.

So, Itai just stopped by and I showed him the photo of the roach. He wasn't pleased to see that I had one and so we're going to get the exterminator to the apartment soon.

That's it for me, it's 9:00 and I'm dog tired. Running out to pick up some dinner and then maybe heading over to Gayle's to hang out before she leaves.

Song of the night is Last Resort off of the Infestation album by Papa Roach! Cause again, I've got a great sense of humor!

No comments: