Tuesday, August 15, 2006

A Kept Woman


Skyline
Originally uploaded by holylandhipster.
It's 12:50 pm and, at this time on Wednesday night, I should already be one hour into my flight. I can't believe it's really, finally, happening.

Today, I felt like a kept woman. Like all of those Upper West and Upper East Side married women who have nannies and spend the day grooming. And, the best part of the day, was that I was able to explore and say goodbye to four different neighborhoods!

My afternoon started in Midtown, where Teri at Salon Today gave me a full 60-minute signature massage that include hot stones and some hard-core massage therapy. Oiled and blissfully happy, I then got a manucire-pedicure from both Teri and Betty. The women in the salon were looking at me like I should have been somebody, with two women working on different appendages at the same time! The best part of the entire grooming affair was that I didn't pay a cent. My cousin and his girlfriend gave me a gift certificate for my birthday last year, and with the move imminent and the gift certificate coming up for expiration, I decided to treat myself before I left. It was a good decision. I am seriously stressed.

Next, it was on to Rockefeller Center for a quick bite to eat by the park. It was nice visiting my old stomping grounds from years working at a PR firm near NBC/AP and Fox News Channel. It was a gorgeous day outside so I got to eat my lunch and people watch, which is a serious hobby of mine.

Next, I hopped on a downtown C train and headed to see Rob, my hairstylist. While on the train, I ran into a guy from my old gym. It was funny. We worked out at the same gym for 4 1/2 years and he never even acknowledged me. Once I get on the same train as him (he?), it was like I was his long-lost best friend. Odd.

I finally get to Soho and, before my appointment with Rob, made my way to some of my favorite shopping destinations. Since I literally have zero room left in my luggage, I couldn't buy anything, but it was nice to be able to look around and appreciate the Fall fashion.

Somehow, Rob always manages to get me into trouble. I was just looking for a quick touch-up on my highlights and serious bangs trim, and he managed to convince me to go dark. Courtney Cox-Arquette dark. Like the cover of this month's Marie Claire magazine. By the time he wa finished with my color, I didn't recognize the person in the mirror. Fortunately, Mom was asleep when I got home, but I know tomorrow night she will be pretty surprised at the drastic new do!

From Soho, it was back onto the C train to meet Julie at Zen Palate. The absolute best vegetarian restaurant in town, Zen Palate is a grew place that is cheap, tasty, and caters to my vegetarian friend. We had a great dinner and then Juliet walked me to the bus to go up to the Upper West Side. When she started tearing up though, I almost broke down. I'm going to miss all of my friends and family so much, it's really starting to translate into some serious cold feet. As soon as the emotions start to get the best of me, I have to get away. So, I hugged her one more time and hopped into a cab, promising to see her in February and pledging to keep in touch.

So, in case you lost me, here's a recap. Queens to Midtown, Midtown to Rockefeller Center, Rock Center to Soho, Soho to Union Square, Union Square to Upper West Side.

I ended up at the UWS apartment of one of my guy friends so we could watch Weeds. The new season premiered on Showtime and, since I absolutely adored the first season, had to watch this episode before I left the country. I got to his place just in time for the episode and then, less than an hour later, we were saying goodbye and I was back in a cab heading home to Queens.

Tomorrow is my last day going into the City and I'm going to briefly be on the Upper West Side. It will be madness tomorrow as I try to get everything done before leaving for the airport.

Tonight, I just don't know what I'm going to miss more: my family and friends, or Manhattan?

Song for the evening: Forever by Turin Brakes.

1 comment:

tafka PP said...

I imagine Manhattan- you can't really Skype a city, but you can talk to your people whenever you want...

Safe journey, HLH!